1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Is my shifter backwards?

I just bought a Gary Fisher Marlin for my wife and on our first trip I was explaining how to shift. I told her to get a higher gear/go faster use her thumb and when climbing to pull with her finger.
    After awhile of grunting and groaning she thought something was wrong. I tried her bike and it was the exact opposite of my shifters. They are both Deore derailers and it has me thinking that one of ours might be backwards.

Can they be setup backwards or do different bike manufactures have different setups?

Just ride
    sorry
    Last edited by skim1040; 06-28-2008 at 10:17 PM.
    You know what sucks worse than training? Losing.
    You know what sucks worse than losing? Nothing.

Ride on

Ride the dream
    (^ Erm, what?!?)

You have a rapidrise derailleur.

She does not.

Basically, increasing cable tension moves yours from lower gears to higher ones.
    Hers is a conventional mech and increased cable tension moves it from higher gears to lower ones.

Both types work with shimano rapidfire shifters - which is where your confusion comes from

Shifters cant be set up backwards - the cable passes through the shifter to the derailleur, one trigger adds tension to the cable, the other releases tension. The direction the mech moves in is dependant on the type of mech, a rapidrise will be at rest on the lowest gear on the cassette (if all cable tension is removed and limits correctly set) and a conventional mech will be at rest on the highest gear (with no cable tension, and limits correctly set).

mtbr member

One more thing

EnglishT nailed it. The only thing I would add is that some people like Rapid Rise and some don't. I've used both and so far like it since it's easier to shift to a lower gear and when I need to shift quickly, it's always to go to a lower gear. Another consideration (at least in theory) is that if you ever had a shifter or cable go bad on a ride and you had to finish out the ride in the default gear, Rapid Rise means you'd be in the lowest gear instead of the highest one. Might not matter as much if you have a tripple, but I've got a 1x9 so I'll take the low gear.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I thought one of us had something wrong.

Ride the dream
    Its not technically wrong - they are just different mechs.

Personally, I loved the rapidrise... What are technically known as "oh sh!t" shifts are downshifts so it helps to have that as the easy trigger (cable release)...

But I broke several - so i'm now back onto conventional - purely because its the only way to get a shadow =/

If shimano made a shadow rapidrise, I would switch to it in a heartbeat.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    ... If shimano made a shadow rapidrise, I would switch to it in a heartbeat ...
    I know what you mean ... but i still much prefer low normal ... of course when shimano does come out with a shadow rapidrise ... then i guess i will have an xt low normal for sale ...