1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

My Setup/Story... Tips or part suggestions?

So I was given a 98-99 raleigh M30 for christmas. I have previously owned a specialized hard rock but I owned it for such a short time (stolen) it barely got out to the trail. I always wanted to get into avid biking but never had the time. So this raleigh looks like its got some wear but nothing to serious everything is in working condition. I took it to a local trail this morning it ran well didn't encounter any mechanical problems.

So getting past the story...Any tips about this bike? Also its tires are pretty worn down so what would be a good replacement tread on a small budget?

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    So I was given a 98-99 raleigh M30 for christmas. I have previously owned a specialized hard rock but I owned it for such a short time (stolen) it barely got out to the trail. I always wanted to get into avid biking but never had the time. So this raleigh looks like its got some wear but nothing to serious everything is in working condition. I took it to a local trail this morning it ran well didn't encounter any mechanical problems.

So getting past the story...Any tips about this bike? Also its tires are pretty worn down so what would be a good replacement tread on a small budget?

I'd suggest tires...not sure what your budget is, but Specialized The Captain tires are great, and the base model (the comp?) is one of the best tires I have ever used...and pretty cheap. Might set you back $50 for the pair at a bike shop, but they will keep you on the trail real well. Other than that, it sounds like it's in pretty good shape and only needs some routine maintenance (keep the chain in good shape, some adjusting now and then...nothing intensive).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The thing is I may or may not use it as a part time commuter. Would there be anyway to keep it as both without sacrificing performance?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    The thing is I may or may not use it as a part time commuter. Would there be anyway to keep it as both without sacrificing performance?
    I see nothing wrong with part-time commuting on your new/old bike. If you are going to ride on dirt trails definitely get some tires with some grip and avoid slicks.

As one of my good friends says "Put some fun between your legs and ride"

Now go ride your bike!

Flow like water
    What can you tell us about your commute?

How much road bike experience do you have?

It has been my experience that you can ride a trail bike almost anywhere. The main factors about commuting are distance, traffic, and the need for fenders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well the commutes range from a mile or up to 5 but its all along city streets most of which are busy. Road bike experience? as in an actual road bike or any bike that you use for commutes? I do own an old 10 speed and have ridden it quite a bit, but I wanted to get rid of it. On the other hand when I did have my specialized hardrock it did quite a bit of commutes( very little offroad ) the difference is it was lighter and faster than this.

And p08757 neither did I but just making sure. And was planning on taking it to the trails again today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok I just had a new problem come about hopefully someone can help. I got on the bike to go over to the trails and the seat tilted all the way back so common sense i knew the bolt came loose. I tightened it as far as it would go not once but twice and it still just keeps tilting back. How do i fix this? yes the seat post is fine at the tip and fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Here's a picture from the trail yesterday:
    And after i cleaned it off:

Had a good time couldnt complain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Depending on the type of seat clamp you may need to replace some parts or the post. There should be some type groves in the clamp surfaces ,if those have been stripped then you need to replace the clamp or post . Either take to a shop or post pictures with it taken apart .

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I fixed it by deepening the grooves on the clamp. I hope it holds as a fix.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Captain's are pretty fast, but if you want "faster", look the the Specialized Fast Tracks...they get pretty good reviews on here, I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I I looked at the captains but I didnt see them in 26 inch tire. It looks like the fast traks come in 26x2.00 would I have any problems with compatibility since the tire i have now is a 26x1.95?
    Last edited by sfb12; 12-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is a good and inexpensive tire. The 2.1 width is what you'd want in these.
    They make a front and rear tread pattern, but lots of people run the fronts for both tires.

IRC Mythos XC II Racing Kevlar Tire at Price Point

In regards to your seat tilting, it is positioned very far back on the rails in your pictures. Most of the seat that is supporting your weight appears to be far behind the attachment point to the seatpost. Because of this you are applying a lot of leverage which is likely why it is tilting on you.

If your fix doesn't work, slide the seat forward so that it is more centered over the seat post and then tighten it down.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I I looked at the captains but I didnt see them in 26 inch tire. It looks like the fast traks come in 26x2.00 would I have any problems with compatibility since the tire i have now is a 26x1.95?
    Specialized Bicycle Components

The drop down shows 26" and 29" in different widths. I'd think you could get a 1.95" tire on standard rims...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For you and your bike, I would recommend the Specialized Fast Trak LK in 26" x 2.0":

The 'LK' stands for 'low knob'. They are decent trail tires and roll well on pavement. If you want an extra measure of flat protection, get the Armadillo version:

The Armadillo version is more expensive and since it is not the 'LK' version, it won't roll quite as easily (but still rolls very well for an MTB tire), and it will ride a tad rougher due to a stiffer casing, BUT, flat tires will mostly be a thing of the past.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post

The drop down shows 26" and 29" in different widths. I'd think you could get a 1.95" tire on standard rims...
    From what I know the rims on it are still stock and the tires look like they were upgraded once but to nothing to great. I'll take a closer look at all the reccommended specialized tires and make a decision within the next few days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Decision

So I decided on the Specialized The Captains. I was going to get them but my LBS sells them quickly and was sold out. So i'll try again next week . And thank you all for all your help.