1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My old new Giant Yukon

Hi all. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in Spain. I used to be a BMX racer and wanted to make the most of the trails that are all around me in the mountains. The trouble was that I had only a few choices. The second hand bikes here are pretty expensive as people are fanatical here. I found this Giant Yukon for 200 euro. It seems in pretty good nick, but it does have some superficial scratches on it. I already have had problems with the gears which are sorted now, and the brakes are useless.I am thinking of replacing them with some avid bb5īs or 7īs. Which should I go for? But what I really want to know is how I can get a bit of weight out of the thing... its only a small frame.. but all the weight seems to be on the back wheel. I would like to get some straight handlebars as not into the risers for some reason. Have I made a massive error buying her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My old new Giant Yukon-photo0041.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sorry to say I would not have paid 200 euros for that but oh well. As far as loosing weight I would not even go down that road with that bike. If you do want get rid of some weight the best way would be to change the wheels and the fork. A good light wheel set and fork will really change the way the bike feels but it will cost 400 euros or more for the set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, but there is not much choice round here at all for that cash in my size either. There was an archaic Marin that was far to big and I missed out on a BH which was more up my street. I may consider paying out for it later as the frame is the only one I have had so far that actually fits me I think!! Saw one just like this on ebay that went for 130 quid but would have had to pay 50 to get it back to Spain anyway... Suppose buying bits like that I could always take them off later and put them on something better?

mtbr member
    Yeah thats the good thing about buying parts you can upgrade the frame later. Good place to get bike parts is ebay.de.

Nickel Havr
    Hmmm... I was just thinking about re-building a '97 Yukon rigid I've had stashed away... I'm gonna go get started!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I need three bikes anyway for the family, so this could be my opportunity to get a better specīd bike than I could have afforded at the moment. I just took it out on a quite rocky and steep trail up the mountain. It was quite a scary ride on the way down, but good fun! Itīs not perfect ... but itīll do for now. When you have finished with the Yukon letīs see some photos eckstream1!