1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

my old Cannondale bike

Hi,
    I bought a Cannondale Super V 900 mountain bike almost 10 years ago. I was riding on it to go to school (not often though) for the first two years. It spent most of its time in the garage/storage. It has very low miles. A local bike shop did a tune up a few years ago. Other than lubing the chain, I didn't do much maintanence to the bike. Now, I really want to go mountain biking with a friend and I'm planning to bring it to the shop again for another tune-up to get it ready.

Do you guys think this bike is still good to use? What should I pay attention to? If it's still a good bike to use, I'll probably keep riding it until I am very serious in this sport. Then I'll upgrade to a new bike.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.

pronounced may-duh
    Yes that is a very trail worthy bike. Make sure your tires are in good shape. Rubber can degrade over time. Carry a spare tube and a pump with you so you can change a flat. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great. Thanks for the reply. I'll bring it to a bike shop this week for servicing/tune-up and they can check the tires for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had a super v 700 for 10 years. Loved it!!!!!!!

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    still riding my 97 superv700....its strong like bull