1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

My new Ultralight hard tail!

Easton Ultra-lite frame, Full XTR throughout.

Rock Shox SID Race front fork.

Bought it all for $500.. Pretty excited. The guy said less than 50 miles on it. It's the lightest bike I've ever ridden..

Haven't taken it on any trails yet, and it's my first (big boy) mountain bike.. I'll post how it handles as I find stuff out.

I had to get 10 posts so the picture will be below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Here he is;

The Original Suspect
    Nice pick up! Even the older XTR is better than anything you would get on any new bike in that price range. Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Nice pick up! Even the older XTR is better than anything you would get on any new bike in that price range. Enjoy!!
    Thanks! At first I really wanted a DH/FR bike.. but the sheer variety of trails in Southern Utah is amazing. So to start out, I need a good All Mountain that I can get conditioned and be comfortable on.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    watch out for that exhaust pipe. I have heard of tires exploding due to being hit with exhaust from a car. It does not happen in 5 minutes, but on longer drive... Bang...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Whoa.. Thanks for the warning. My car does put out some seriously high temp exhaust gases. Being a rotary and all. I'll strap it down different or get some protection for it. But I mostly use my car bike rack for small trips. To the shop and what not. I'll likely ride with someone else with a more practical vehicle.. X)

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    So...you go on posting about a bike called an Ultralite, with a light race fork, and light XTR parts, and say it's the lightest bike you've ever ridden...without saying how much it weighs.

Tell us already; the suspense is awful!

Awesome find, by the way.

I4NI
    __8
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice bike

mtbr member
    tell us the weight... haha very nice bike it has old components but are good

no trees are safe
    OH I've just noticed that you own an RX 8. That's a sweet car with an awesome engine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leejin View Post
    Whoa.. Thanks for the warning. My car does put out some seriously high temp exhaust gases. Being a rotary and all. I'll strap it down different or get some protection for it. But I mostly use my car bike rack for small trips. To the shop and what not. I'll likely ride with someone else with a more practical vehicle.. X)
    How else can you rack it? I just started riding and have a g35 so I'm worried about the pipe issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    omfg, a fellow rotard using a bike rack, nice! i have a '04 winning blue color and use the saris bone bike rack coz i was concerned about the reach over the rear spoiler looks like it works out with yours. and yes, high temps on the exhausts but i'm not worried since my saris put it's out far back safely, not even the pedals/tires possibly touching the bumper. will put up a pic next time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Congrats!