1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

My new Trek superfly 100 Al elite

Well about a month ago I got a Trek Marlin and was considering upgrading the the fork and some other forks but this past Friday I went by the trek store and traded it in for a whole new bike lol. I got the Superfly 100 AL elite. I really like this bike and I think it will do what I want to do. The Marlin was not as capable for the way I ride and I hope the Superfly will hold up. I like to take some small jumps and go pretty fast through the roots and rocks. Now my concern is maintenance with a full suspension. can I just oil all of the movable parts or do I need to use some grease on the parts of the rear suspension. I saw some videos about using some fork juice on the shock stanchions but nothing on the rear suspension parts. I just want to do the correct maintenance on the expensive parts to prevent premature wear and frequent trips to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    as new as the bike is i do not think you have to grease anything for now.. go out and ride and enjoy your bike... only maintenance it needs is to wipe the stanchions after every ride to rid it of debris...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great bike choice! I ride a '12 Superly 100 Elite. Based on your description it sounds like it will fit the bill perfectly.

Be sure to use the Trek suspension setup calculator to determine a starting point for how much air to put into your fork and shock. When properly set up, the bike glides over the rough stuff. Your pivot points are equipped with sealed bearings so no need to lube. I take the swing arm off a few times a year just to clean out any dirt that has accumulated between the contact points. A Trek tech also advised me to apply a thin amount of poly lube here. Other than that, just wipe down the stanchions and be sure to clean and lube your chain after every 2-3 rides.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Great upgrade. I love my 2012 Superfly 100 Pro carbon. The LBS you bought it from should handle all service of it for the next year...for FREE.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I did not know that it had bearings in the pivot points thanks for that info. Also a guy at the lbs set the psi amounts up for the front and back but after riding a bit and watching some videos online I dropped a couple psi and I kinda like it a little lower then it is supposed to be. It felt to firm at the time for me but time will tell. The distance from the seat to handle bars is a lot different then the marlin. I felt I had more room in the marlin but I am sure I will get used to the more aggressive feel of the superfly. If not I guess I will try adjusting my seat some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The shop that you got the bike from should be helping you with your questions,there other adjustments to the fork and shock you can make . Also they take a little time to break in andvloosen up.