mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My new pedal order

I decided to finally give clipless a shot and I just pulled the trigger on some new Shimano 520's and some SH-56 cleats to help me get started. I wanted something I could get into and out of easily to learn with.

Any tips or hints for me since I am new to clipless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Turn the tension down to start with and then practice on a soft surface like grass.
    Not much more to it really. Practice practice and soon it will become second nature.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by buckchoi View Post
    Turn the tension down to start with and then practice on a soft surface like grass.
    Not much more to it really. Practice practice and soon it will become second nature.
    Good luck!
    Thanks. Is the tension adjustment fairly simple to work with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    From memory the 520s have a +/- etched onto the pedal around the tension nut. Just turn it a bit towards the minus side on both sides of the pedal to lower the release tension.

Shimano's are pretty easy to get out of anyway.

Everyone has an embarrassing stack sooner or later when they can't unclip. For some reason it always seems to happen when everyone is looking

mtbr member
    You could start by adjusting the tension screws fully loose (loose = "-"). When I had SH56 cleats, I could just pull my foot out any which way. Zero learning curve. As you get used to them, or find yourself coming out too easily, you can adjust the tension tighter. At some point, you may want to go to the standard SH51 cleats that came with your pedals. Same process - start with the tension backed all the way off and snug them up as you get used to them.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Perfect. Thanks for the info and the help.

Salty member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckchoi View Post

Everyone has an embarrassing stack sooner or later when they can't unclip. For some reason it always seems to happen when everyone is looking
    Mine was leaving the trails at a stoplight while pressing the crosswalk button, tons of traffic to witness the failure....

I have only been using clipless for a few months now, I've been riding all my life and they take some getting used to. After each of the first few rides I had some pretty nice bruises and scratches to explain to the wife HOW the pedals made me flail. Pretty embarrassing at first.

Good advice keeping them loose at first, they really are nice once you get used to them.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C-S Build NOX/Hope Hoops
    If you're not bleeding, you're not trying...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    in for replies

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the exact same set-up. The 56 cleat (I think this is what they call multi-release) is very easy to unclip. At first I thought it was not tight enough and would come out on the trail but pulling up and forward and back it is solid. Just a slight twist and you pop right out. I like them. I would not adjust anything - just put the pedals on, put the cleats on your shoes and go ride. I used to have the Time Attack pedals and cleats - I rode them for about two months and they were still tough to unclip in a hurry (probably a little easier to clip onto the pedal though) - the shimano combo is much better for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    do as stated above and you'll be fine. do note, however, that the shimano pedals have a separate tension screw for each side of each pedal, so make sure you adjust all four adjustment screws to the same tension. there is no visual indicator, so the easiest way to do it is to turn all the way to one side and tighten the same number of detents. don't take it for granted that they're adjusted the same from the factory either.

It's all about the FSR!
    Good choice for beginner pedals. I really like mine. I tried some Eggbeaters, but ended up taking those back off, and putting the M520's back on. I am using regular cleats with mine, but since I have gotten used to them, I can get unclipped pretty fast, almost like a second nature.