mtbr member
    Apr 2014

my new old marin

hey
    ive always been into being on 2 wheels wether it be motorbikes or mountain bikes and recently had my gt avalanche stolen while at work so bought a friends old marin hawk hill
    i dont know much about these bikes nor this one specifically i know its got to be quite old as its not set up for disc brakes at all and frankly it looks a little rough around the edges
    my question is this bike will be used for my 10mile commute and on weekends it will be used for a bit of fun, ive always had bikes with disc brakes already installed or the lugs to install them this however has no lugs. is there a point in upgrading them with adaptors or should i just leave them? my only worry is will they be good enough when rode daily with a 100kg weight on them in all weather conditions?
    is there anything else i need to watch for on this? the chain looks a little thin but other than that apart from some out dated bits the bike looks pretty solid
    thanks in advance

I ride bikes
    Congrats. For a commuter bike, I wouldn't worry about having disc brakes. Do some basic maintenance on it and ride.

mtbr member
    To put into perspectve... there are a lot of bikes, with 100kg, still running V-brakes out on the trails.

My only suggestion is to make sure you get new cables and good brake pads. Set them up and you are good to go.

John