1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My new bike came with Shimano 505 Pedals...

They have a platform on one side and the clipless pedal on the other. I just picked up some clipless shoes and I plan to ride with these on about 90% of the time. What pedals would y'all recommend upgrading to? I've heard the 505's are crap. Should I ride them for a while (on the loosest setting) or should I change them NOW? If now, what would y'all suggest? Better Shimano? Eggbeater? Mallets?

Thanks!

w

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I swapped mine out for the spd 520's. I like the spd's but they are kinda unpredictable. I plan on changin to time atac xs soon. I hear these are a better pedal. It all depends on your preference I guess. If you like to adjust release tension, go with the shimano's. If you want great mudshedding pedals get the eggbeaters. I hear that the atacs are a more predictably pedal and easier to clip in/out of then the shimano's. Overall though, the shimano's aren't too bad except for the fact that sometimes they don't release that great, and sometimes if I hit a bump, or jump, my feet unclip.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    They have a platform on one side and the clipless pedal on the other. I just picked up some clipless shoes and I plan to ride with these on about 90% of the time. What pedals would y'all recommend upgrading to? I've heard the 505's are crap. Should I ride them for a while (on the loosest setting) or should I change them NOW? If now, what would y'all suggest? Better Shimano? Eggbeater? Mallets?

Thanks!

w
    I just bought a new bike myself (Hoo Koo E Koo) and it came with these pedals. I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that those "platforms" are just on one side for test riding at the store w/o cleated shoes.

I know the second I got home w/ my new rig I unclipped the plastic platforms and have no intention of ever using them. Why use them when you can clip in, especially if you plan on clipping in 90% of the time anyway? And if you were using the platforms, the pedal would always be upside down when you went to mount the bike because the plastic platforms would fall to the bottom. That's my 2 cents.

Metal
    Do a lot of riders just use plain old platform pedals? 'Cause coming from a BMX background, I can't imagine ever wanting to fasten my feet to the pedals.

FYI I don't have a MTB yet.

ack

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think you missed my point - had nothing to do with the platforms. Wanting to know what pedals people suggest upgrading to. The 505's are crap - hard to get out. They are Shimano's cheapest clipless. Personally, I like the platforms for taking the dog on a run...

Will probably get some Crank Brothers mallets.

w

Metal
    Sorry, I wasn't really responding. More just hijacking your thread

sorry

ack

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    See, now I've ridden with 505s and never had a problem. I run 515s on my current rig and have never come uclipped when I didn't intend to, or stayed clipped in when I biffed. If you want the eggbeaters or mallets, great, but it's been my experience that Shimano gets a bad rap regarding their "low-end" stuff.

As for why you'd want to attach yourself to a bike like that, it VASTLY improves your pedalling efficiency, and ensures your feet don't slip off the pedals on rough sections. It's a weird feeling, but helps tremendously.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    If you haven't ridden them yet, quick, unscrew them from the crank and sell on on eBay while they still have a tiny bit of value.

Say what you will, the 505's and 515's suck compared to Shimano's better stuff.

I really liked the crisp action 520s, but the plating flaked and they corroded within 9 months of ownership. I presume the 540 and 959 are as good and hopefully more durable in the finish department.

My old standby favorite is Shimano's 535. If you can still find these on eBay for the right price, they are well worth it. Very durable, I still have a pair that I've owned and used continuously since '96.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    I must be some uncultured heathen, cuz I can't feel any difference between my 515s and my friends 540s. The long and short of it is that every company makes stuff at most every price point, so I wouldn't worry about it for now, just ride em. You're probably not gonna get much of anything on ebay (seeing as everyone who's "in the know" says they suck), and it's gonna end up being a headache for ya.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, but then again, I'm all uncultured and whatnot. *shrug*

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got a new bike that came with shimano 505's. First time with clipless so I set the tension very loose and have had no problems. Heard so many times that the 505's were crap, so I ordered Atac Alium clipless but find it very hard to get in and out of. Anyhow, I am a newbie to clipless, but just my observations...

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    I also have the 505's and never had a problem with them! I loosened the tension a little bit and i'm always able to clip out even in "freak out" situations. My only complain is that they do clog up sand and mud, but they still operate flawlessly. I've had them for nearly 3 months and they look pretty beat up now, so i'll try the 520s or 540's next.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!