1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

My new bike!

Hey everyone!
    Today I went to the trails at Lake Stanley Draper here in Oklahoma for the first time and had a blast. I was riding a genesis walmart bike that I picked up for $40 before I had looked into any nicer bikes.
    Despite the torture of a stiff spring fork, set for a 160lb rider, and only weighing 130, I still had a ton of fun riding the trails.
    I had been debating on what hardtail 26" bike to buy (and if I should invest the money into buying one in the first place) but had been looking at the Diamondback Response and was really interested in it. Between all of the bikes I was considering, it was the most affordable because it was on sale at REI. I stumbled upon one at Dick's a week or so ago and realized that it was the same price as the one online, so I told myself if I liked the trails at Draper then I would go ahead and buy the bike.
    Well needless to say I did, and here it is!

2012 Diamondback Response XE

I haven't got to ride it off road yet, but so far it feels really nice. Obviously it's way, way lighter than the genesis, which is great. With that bike you couldn't get the front wheel up more than a foot or so if your life depended on it. The Diamondback comes up with hardly any effort, which will be great for the trails.

I've heard from everyone that this is a good beginner bike with a very solid frame and decent components, so it should do me a lot of good for a long time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice bike!

mtbr member

My new bike!

Congratulations on the new scoot. Now, get out there and rack up some miles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Congratulations on your new purchase! Sharp looking bike.

Cow Clicker
    Nice! Congratulations - have fun!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice bike... looks slick.

Also, are you an REI member? This should pocket you a nice dividend/refund at the end of the year...

Now get out there and get some dirt on it

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool bike!!!

mtbr member
    Congrats, now go make it filthy.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Haha thanks everyone! Got to ride it on my small jumps around the house today, and this bike is about 100x better than what I'm used to! Looking forward to going back to the Draper trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Nice bike... looks slick.

Also, are you an REI member? This should pocket you a nice dividend/refund at the end of the year...

Now get out there and get some dirt on it
    Thanks! And no I'm not a member there, what refund is this?

mtbr member
    Sweet ride brother, now go get it dirty!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow looks awesome, be sure to update what you think after you ride it a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    nice ride!

5kogsmulle
    Jan 2012
    nice looks FUN!

DFMBA.org
    Nothing better than the feeling of starting out with your first real mountain bike. Congrats. You might want to play with saddle height until you have just a slight knee bend on the full down stroke. This will help you get the most power out of every crank and you'll feel less fatigued on longer rides.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the new ride!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ANoLEN View Post
    Thanks! And no I'm not a member there, what refund is this?
    It's a membership rewards program, I think it's free and you get money back on all your purchases. It really adds up when you buy big ticket items.

How is your saddle height? Do you know what it's supposed to be? From the pictures it looks a little low for the frame size so I would look into that.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Congrats on the purchase. I went a similar route when I got started--first a department store bike, then an entry-level MTB, then a custom build, then ...

As others have said, raise the saddle. To test this, find an extended incline and pedal up it seated and with the saddle high. Then, drop the seat, ride down, and pedal back up with it still low. The difference should be obvious and immediate.

However, if your trails are relatively flat with only short ascents (like an interval course), you don't need a high saddle and might actually prefer a mid-range or low saddle. But generally speaking, a high saddle is vastly more efficient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey all. I'm new to mtbr and was looking for some opinionos. I'm looking on buying a new bike but I just want a sense of what others think between the two bikes I'm considering. Right now I'm looking at either the Scott Spark 640 ($3300) or the Yeti sb66 race alloy ($4300). My first choice which i was dead set on was the Scott because I really liked the twim lock feature along with the sleek design. This is pretty much a trail bike. But the Yeti threw a wrench into the mix because it is simply awesome. It is supposedly a bit more durable and has the amazing "switch technology" feature allowing for automatic suspension adjustment for climbs and descents. It works by having the bottom bracket pivot rotate eccentrically relative to the swing arm rotation. Its really interesting. This is obviously a bit more expensive but I just don't know what would be best for me. Both bikes sound awesome. I'd mostly use it for alot of XC and DH. What are your thoughts?!

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    shizzle, your query probably merits its own thread.

And Beginner's Corner might not be the place for you as it doesn't sound as if you're new to trail riding, although I gotta say that XC and DH applications are very different and usually require very different bikes as a result.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You're definitely right that they are really different riding styles but I'm trying to go for something that could be (not idealy) used as an all around bike. Something I can use to do either of those styles in addition to trail riding. I would say I would mostly use it for Trail and XC with the occasional DH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool bike man congrats!

mtbr member
    Hopefully you are enjoying your new bike. I myself live in Oklahoma also and ride draper frequently. I actually just got done putting in some laps @ bluff creek. With the work they are doing to draper it will be a nice trail to rack up some miles on your new bike!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice looking bike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast