1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new bike :)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

My new bike :)

I just got a DUI
    so I needed a bike to get out of my house so I wouldn't go insane. There are some trails near my house so I decided on a mountain bike
    I went with a trek 6000

I need the exercise anyway. I've been enjoying myself

pronounced may-duh
    Nice!

I'd switch to clipless pedals and loose the spacers under them stem.

bi-winning
    Those are some noobtastic reflectors.

BTW, how do you like the fork?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Those are some noobtastic reflectors.

BTW, how do you like the fork?
    they keep me safe while noobing about in the dark

the fork is ok I guess. I have nothing to compare it to.

and Maida7 what do you mean the spacers under the stem? sorry I know how to ride a bike but that's about where my bike knowledge ends

pronounced may-duh
    Where the stem is clamped on to the steerer tube you have what looks like 2" worth of spacers that make your stem super high. I'd remove at least half of those to lower the stem and put you in a more aggressive riding position. Take it back to the shop where you bought it and they will do it for free. You can just move the spacers over the stem to test it out. Then if you like the new feel you can cut the steerer tube down to make the change permanent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    that sounds like it would make for a more uncomfortable ride to me
    are you talking about where the handlebars are connected? lower that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it would be more uncomfortable probably. Sounds like you are just doing recreational riding, so I'd leave em on and if you feel like you want the bars lower, you can always do it later.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    it would be more uncomfortable probably. Sounds like you are just doing recreational riding, so I'd leave em on and if you feel like you want the bars lower, you can always do it later.
    True but if you want to shred some trails, I think your bike would handle much better with the bars lower. Either way have fun and wear a helmet

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by litehedded
    that sounds like it would make for a more uncomfortable ride to me
    are you talking about where the handlebars are connected? lower that?
    Yup.

The stem is the part that connects the bar to the "steerer tube" of the fork. How high you want your bar is a matter of preference. I like mine a little below seat level.

edit: reflectors:
    They could get stuck on the vegetation on some trails and, at least theoretically, the ones on the spokes could get stuck between spokes and the fork. If you ride in traffic in low light conditions, reflectors and a good light are a good idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Yup.

The stem is the part that connects the bar to the "steerer tube" of the fork. How high you want your bar is a matter of preference. I like mine a little below seat level.
    I might try that and see how I like it.
    so far i'm quite happy with the bike

local trails rider
    I might try that and see how I like it.
    so far i'm quite happy with the bike
    If you do it yourself, find some instructions first. Parktool probably has this, too, explained on their website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    True but if you want to shred some trails, I think your bike would handle much better with the bars lower. Either way have fun and wear a helmet
    helmets are so nerdy
    but I guess I'm going to have to wear one. I like my brains where they are. on the inside of my head.

bi-winning
    I just got a DUI
    Although an earlier flame post was deleted, i would like to add one of these in reference to the above statement.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Although an earlier flame post was deleted, i would like to add one of these in reference to the above statement.

it was extremely stupid I know.
    I'll be paying for it for a long time

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    nice bike. i'm currently in the process of choosing which bike to buy. like treks myself...
    and kona and specialized and orange and gt... can't decide aaargh!?!?

I post too much.

Yeah I got moderated. I kinda deserved it didn't I? Sorry Call_me_clyde.

I ranted off in a very not nice manner about how I though people DUI we're stupid. You see, a drunk woman killed my dad who was just waiting in his car at a traffic light, she hit him doing 100mph in the opposite lane. He never had time to even react.

IMO, you got off very easy with having only your liscence removed. Keep in mind that you are responsible for the safety of EVERYONE around you when in a car. At least when you are on a bike, you can only kill yourself.

I'm usually very helpful around this part of the forum, but I lost my temper. Let's simply say I have no respect for you whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i just got the same bike and love it! but what a couple of people were mentioning about the reflector, especially the one on the rims, i would remove it. while i was out for a ride yesterday the reflector got loose and flipped, so it was perpendicular to the wheel. It caused the rear derailleur to get stuck in the spoke along with the chain. (pics below)

luckily i was close to a friend's house and he had an extra powerlink. We installed that and the only other dmage was that a couple of the spokes were bent.

I took the bike to the shop today and they're going to fix it no problem. It just sucks that i've only had it for about a week and already something like this happens. The only good thing is that it happened close to home, other wise if i would have had to walk the bike home.

Other than what happend yesterday I must say that i love the bike. Fork isn't the greatest, but it should be good enough for now as I'm just getting into biking.

mtbr member
    Nice Bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69

I ranted off in a very not nice manner about how I though people DUI we're stupid. You see, a drunk woman killed my dad who was just waiting in his car at a traffic light, she hit him doing 100mph in the opposite lane. He never had time to even react.

IMO, you got off very easy with having only your liscence removed. Keep in mind that you are responsible for the safety of EVERYONE around you when in a car. At least when you are on a bike, you can only kill yourself.

I'm usually very helpful around this part of the forum, but I lost my temper. Let's simply say I have no respect for you whatsoever.
    I'll keep that in mind.

I post too much.
    I'll keep that in mind.
    Keep in mind that you are responsible for the safety of EVERYONE around you when in a car

That is actually what you should've gotten out of the post, because you probably don't give a crap about my opinion of you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just be very carefully riding to the trails, some of those drunk drivers can easily miss seeing a biker.

That almost always means a dead biker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Keep in mind that you are responsible for the safety of EVERYONE around you when in a car

That is actually what you should've gotten out of the post, because you probably don't give a crap about my opinion of you.
    you're right. it means absolutely nothing to me.
    I don't know you and you don't know me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Just be very carefully riding to the trails, some of those drunk drivers can easily miss seeing a biker.

That almost always means a dead biker.
    will do

SuperInstigator

I completely understand why you flamed. My dad's coworker was also killed by a DUIer.....and she was pregnant. It's good just to get it out sometimes.

FWIW, I'm sorry about your dad. Was it recently?

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice pics...I'm probably going to pick one up pretty soon but in the orange/black color, nice to see what the silver looks like other than the pics on the trek site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast