1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: MY new 29r.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

MY new 29r.

TL;DR
    In January of '11 I smoked a pack and a half of ciggs a day. I decided to quit and pick up an old hobby that was kinda its opposite.

Picked up a trek fuel ex8 and I am very satisfied with it, but I wanted a hard tail. I always wanted to put my own bike together.

After I found out I can pick up a carbon 29r frame for ~$400, I was sold. I found an XT group on craigs list that was installed but never ran. Picked up a new Fit29 RLC for a really good price. I just needed some odds and ends after that... including stans arch/x9 combo.

I need a new seat post... the cheap carbon seat post from china lacks proper adjustment.

Sorry for the cell phone pics... Im far too lazy to take out the nice camera.

Hot off the press... found out I needed a different type of front derailleur... along with a few other odds and ends

2x10 setup on a 17.5" frame....I dont like the grips...I thought I would.

I love the ignitor up front, but I have not made my final judgement on the crossmark in the rear.

2.1 xmark with little clearance for bigger meat.

I instantly felt at home on the bike, and have taken it out 4 times now. I will be much better off once I get the seat leveled out. Just like everyone else has said, you can really feel the big wheels under you. I quickly saw the need to become a smoother rider...not only because the hard tail under me now, but keeping a more consistent climbing pace to not loose the momentum in the wheels... they are not as easy to get moving as 26r's.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nice. Looks like you really leveraged the money you had to spend on this project.

I really like my Crossmark, but I think of it as kind of a summer tire - I'm sure when the days get shorter and it gets rainier later in the Fall, I'll want to go back to my Velociraptor. I feel like it corners like a tire with more tread, but it definitely requires me to have my weight in the right place to climb something loose. And, it's definitely a racing tire - it really rewards smoothness, IME.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks... The final cost for the build was $1800. While a little high IMO... I don't have any real industry connections to save considerable money. All said and done though, I feel like I got a hell of a bike for my money. Where else are you going to find a 22-23lb hard tail for under $2k? (actual weight 24.2 lbs... but Im still running tubes and other bulk).

AZ
    banned
    Congrats, nice work.

mtbr member
    is that one of the carbon frames from taiwan?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Given that they all come from there, that's a pretty broad net.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Given that they all come from there, that's a pretty broad net.
    heh, true. he'll know what I'm talking about if it is. the ones from ebay shipped from taiwan.

mtbr member
    good looking bike.. i have been eyeing these frames on ebay.. how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words. This frame was purchased directly from Hong-fu. This was the only frame I found with no internal cable routing and the rear brake brace.

It has been a long time since I rode a hard tail, so it is kinda hard to compare with a grain of salt. What I can say though is that I love riding this bike... I still get a sensation of riding 2 wheels and a fork when on flat ground... you cant even feel the frame below you.

BTW.. I chose not to go through ebay for the frame. I wanted to talk to someone directly and put in an order for the exact frame I wanted. Everything went smooth and my order came exactly as expected in 10 days.

http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index....index&cPath=68

Fat-tired Roadie
    Impressive prices on their site, but one thing makes me nervous - there's no geometry chart.

Am I missing it? Or do you just buy your usual size and cross your fingers that nothing's weird?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice pictures, bike looks sweet! I am very interested in these frames as i'd like to shed a few pounds off my current setup. Besides front derailleur, what other odds and ends were needed to make this work?

mtbr member
    OP I think you may have inspired my second build.

Of course I still have to start my first one...c'mon UPS. *taps foot*
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pininfarina599 View Post
    Nice pictures, bike looks sweet! I am very interested in these frames as i'd like to shed a few pounds off my current setup. Besides front derailleur, what other odds and ends were needed to make this work?
    (disclaimer: I built this bike with the help of a LBS employee at his house, I remember very little from my own bike shop job years ago.)

The only thing specific to this frame that I was unaware of was the front der. I guess I needed a style that drops down from the mount because the tapered seat tube. Other things to watch out for are rear tire clearance and the rear brake rotor clearance (2.2 and 160 max respectively). I had also got the wrong chain stay protector... I guess these stays are considered "super jumbo" to lizard skins.

Other odds and ends included pedals, grips, saddle, star nut/bolt... everything that makes the bike that you forget about once you received your frame, fork, and drive train.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice ride

mtbr member
    Very nice bike for the money. Congrats

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks great, enjoy