1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

My letter to Mongoose

This is the email I sent to Pacific-cycles / Mongoose.

Hello ,
    In the beginning of June of 2012 I purchased a Mongoose XR-75 from my local Walmart for $135 + tax. After a day of use I noticed my bike would not shift correctly. I adjusted my rear and front derailleur, it worked fine after that. Riding on a smooth path I noticed the cranks were getting seriously stressed under load. I'm 5'11 164 pounds. I tightened my crank arms all seemed fine. . .

I've had the bike off road, gone off some small dirt mound jumps on trails etc. The description of this bike lists it can handle off road. I was surprised to discover the font shock actually did ok. The rear Hub, not so good. There is some wobble in my rear Cog. Also, today my front left SRAM that guides the front derailleur broke. The cable had become frayed and the whole unit on the handle bar broke away. :-( "Not even 2 months old." I decided to drop my chain down to the second cog and use my top cog as a bash guard. Rear derailleur still holding strong despite play in the rear wheel.

I don't feel this bike would have lasted a person who did not know how to maintain a bike. I have had to modify the bike in order to keep it riding. After every trail ride I have to clean and lube the bike. I am unable to purchase a new bike until Feb of 2013. I saved for months to purchase this bike. I refused to believe people when they told me this bike would crumble. They told me "Mongoose sold out to Walmart and their bikes are basically junk now." I don't feel I have taken this bike outside its comfort zone at all. The trails I ride are tame, built for bikes like the XR-75, these trails are not B.C downhills. They are red clay mounds with some roots and pine trees.

Well, I'm kinda bummed my bike is about broke. I took a chance and got hosed. I could have bought a Giant from a pawn shop for $150 and passed!

The adjustments I made to my Mongoose today I'm afraid will probably be the last. I think my crank will go next. I don't have money for a $500 to a 1k bike, I just don't have it like that unfortunately.

I kept my bike indoors in my room. Like I stated I have washed, lubed and adjusted the whole bike after every ride. Sadly the components just don't hold up. The bike is marketed as a sporty, off road trail bike. This full suspension mongoose is nothing of the sort. It is meant for light paved riding. Even then it would be horrible because the rear suspension would compress under load.

I'm almost out of a bike, not really sure what to do. If Mongoose could help me out that would be great. Less than 2 months of use and your product is dying daily. Please see your description of the Mongoose XR-75

Thank you
    -Thomas

P.S My grips are hosed as well. They slip off and tear so easily. The positioning of the SRAM means I would have to cut new grips I buy to make them fit!

The Mongoose XR-75 26 Men s All-Terrain Bike is a tough vehicle that is perfect for off-road cycling. The bike has an optimum combination of strength and flexibility. Its lightweight suspension frame makes sure that even young and inexperienced cyclists will find it easy to handle on the toughest of terrains. The dual suspension bike is a super performer on mountains and has enough features to ensure a safe ride. The safety features of this men s mountain bike include linear pull breaks and the 26 inch wheels. The bike comes with a quick release seat post and therefore is easily adjustable for different riders. The Mongoose XR-75, with its 21 speeds and SRAM grip shifters ensures a fast and smooth ride. Changing gears in this 21-speed bike is easy and quick.

mtbr member
    Considering $135 is about the cost of a set of mountain bike tires these days... you shouldn't be surprised what happened...

What could go wrong ...
    did that bike have this sticker on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My letter to Mongoose-off-road-warning.jpg  

I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Nah, it didn't. have the warning. When I got it home I adjusted everything down nice and tight. I know allot of times it's not the bike but the assembly. In Feb I'll have about $600 to hit craig's list and the pawn shops with.

I don't think this bike would last 6 months of paved use only.

crash test dummy
    "The Mongoose XR-75 26 Men s All-Terrain Bike is a tough vehicle that is perfect for off-road cycling."
    WARNING: This bike is not designed for offroad use."

Have you tried taking it back to Walmart. That's the one good thing about Walmart, they'll take back jsut about anything. If you can get your money back that would be best; you could continue to save and look for a better used bike. At the very least you might be able get a replacement XR.

mtbr member
    I still think this is one of the best deals around...
    http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Ov...ds=diamondback

If you fit on a large frame, its only $733

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyTorque View Post
    "The Mongoose XR-75 26 Men s All-Terrain Bike is a tough vehicle that is perfect for off-road cycling."
    WARNING: This bike is not designed for offroad use."

Have you tried taking it back to Walmart. That's the one good thing about Walmart, they'll take back jsut about anything. If you can get your money back that would be best; you could continue to save and look for a better used bike. At the very least you might be able get a replacement XR.
    I went back to walmart and they basically told me I had to much wear on the bike. Stickers were all off it etc. "I also lost my receipt." Their mechanic offered to look over the bike. Yadda, yadda. Not much he could do that I could not. Think I should contact the store manager. Lesson learned!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBrakesAndBarEnds View Post
    I still think this is one of the best deals around...
    http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Ov...ds=diamondback

If you fit on a large frame, its only $733
    Yea that DB looks really nice. I could work that price here soon as well I think. I've also been thinking about the Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail

Looks like a sweet hard tail 29 er around 30 lbs for $549

crash test dummy
    Tough luck. You live and learn.
    I bought a cheap Dept Store MTB for work a couple of years back. Used only to ride around the plant on paved roads at an easy pace... Lasted only a few months before crank stripped out. Replaced by an industrial grade SS bike now.
    Dept. Store Bikes = Disposable Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerItOutNoob View Post
    Yea that DB looks really nice. I could work that price here soon as well I think. I've also been thinking about the Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail

Looks like a sweet hard tail 29 er around 30 lbs for $549
    If you don't mind Suntour forks, the motobecane is a good choice... The fork on that diamondback is awesome... and I don't typically like forks that are not air forks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyTorque View Post
    Tough luck. You live and learn.
    I bought a cheap Dept Store MTB for work a couple of years back. Used only to ride around the plant on paved roads at an easy pace... Lasted only a few months before crank stripped out. Replaced by an industrial grade SS bike now.
    Dept. Store Bikes = Disposable Bikes
    Yea, if you know how to peddle a bike a Walmart bike will fail you. I've learned my lesson. I was so pumped to get back out on the trails I would have taken anything. It's still rolling but not for long.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind Suntour forks, the motobecane is a good choice... The fork on that diamondback is awesome... and I don't typically like forks that are not air forks...
    http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-20...ef=pd_sim_sg_1
    ? What you think ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My first suspension bike was $200 bucks....

It wore out in 3 months then I bought a good bike....

The Walmart bikes are for people who ride from their house to the seven-eleven with the kids three times a summer.

The old 1990 ridgid is still going strong.

mtbr member
    A lot better than your mongoose... I actually did try this bike out at Sports Authority and I hated the bike....

I wouldn't recommend it, but it will be much better than your mongoose... The differnence between this bike and the Comp is huge... that extra 300 dollars is a good investment...

mtbr member
    A lot better than your mongoose... I actually did try this bike out at Sports Authority and I hated the bike....

I wouldn't recommend it, but it will be much better than your mongoose... The differnence between this bike and the Comp is huge... that extra 300 dollars is a good investment...
    Gotcha, wonder what the weight on the $700 DB is. Wad the one you tested heavy?

mtbr member
    The Walgoose. this was one week ago. the Sram broke since this, chain has been dropped down one permanently now. I can't even explain the noise I'm hearing when I peddle, busted bearings maybe? I wear a helmet yet fear for my life. LOL. I'm going to keep riding it hard and jumping it till it crumbles I guess.
    [IMG][/IMG]

2006 Yeti AS-X
    OP: Before I knew there was such things as real mountain bikes, I had a Walmart XR75 that I bought because I wanted to get into dirt riding.

1 1/2 months into owning it, I was riding it down a paved bike path close to home and slid out on a wooden bridge...separated shoulder and the forks bent and two wheels tacoed. I could have just imagined had I come off a drop or something like that....man... ouch!

Anyways, during my 5 weeks off the bike healing from the shoulder injury, I discovered mtbr.com and got some great education...went to the LBS and found a Hardrock Sport for $360 (2006 prices) and was hooked from there.

Walmart bikes do have their place....for example: Introducing kids to bicycling...you don't want to plunk alot of money only to find out the kid doesn't like bicycling... that is where a WallieWorld bike makes sense.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Walgoose. this was one week ago. the Sram broke since this, chain has been dropped down one permanently now. I can't even explain the noise I'm hearing when I peddle, busted bearings maybe? I wear a helmet yet fear for my life. LOL. I'm going to keep riding it hard and jumping it till it crumbles I guess.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    If you look at the big picture the $135 wasn't really money badly spent. You now know you like MTB biking and you know that the cheapest bike isn't strong enough for the riding that you do. My local shop charges $70 to demo a bike for one day. My lift resort costs $100 to rent a bike for a day. So in the big picture you spent $135 to "rent" a bike for a couple of months to see if you like the sport. If you look at it that way then it wasn't money wasted and you probably learned alot on working the wall mart bike.

And the thing that broke that you refer to as SRAM is going to be your front shifter. SRAM is the brand name and they make many components (brakes, shifters, deraliers, pedals, wheels, etc). So people might get confused when you call it sram.

mtbr member
    You're wasting your time even writing that letter...what did you expect from a $135 bike? There is no way any manufacturer can produce/provide quality workmanship on any bike at that price point. An Avid BB7 Brake setup cost twice that. Chalk it up to lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    You're wasting your time even writing that letter...what did you expect from a $135 bike? There is no way any manufacturer can produce/provide quality workmanship on any bike at that price point. An Avid BB7 Brake setup cost twice that. Chalk it up to lesson learned.
    Agree 100%

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    If you look at the big picture the $135 wasn't really money badly spent. You now know you like MTB biking and you know that the cheapest bike isn't strong enough for the riding that you do. My local shop charges $70 to demo a bike for one day. My lift resort costs $100 to rent a bike for a day. So in the big picture you spent $135 to "rent" a bike for a couple of months to see if you like the sport. If you look at it that way then it wasn't money wasted and you probably learned alot on working the wall mart bike.

And the thing that broke that you refer to as SRAM is going to be your front shifter. SRAM is the brand name and they make many components (brakes, shifters, deraliers, pedals, wheels, etc). So people might get confused when you call it sram.

Yea I got pretty good at fixing it on the fly. Pretty confident I will be able to take very good care of a higher quality item. It'll be some months before I get a better bike but I'll be sure to update some pictures of what I decided to go with. Some guy had a 17.5 specialized 26 FS bike with helmet and gear near me for $500 bucks. I almost crapped my self. I kinda like a smaller frame. I use to ride bmx and do allot of dirt jumping. I just love flying past trees. I could never go back to BMX after trail riding! I think I'll have lot's of options , especially if the economy continues to tank and people get desperate for cash.

mtbr member
    As everyone said..."what do you expect for $135?".. What did your research tell you about buying a $135 bike prior to your acquisition? ....Ahh, probably didn't research much, did you?

Try the $175 model, they really upgrade them at that price point....

...maybe not
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    what I really find sad is what has happend to the Mongoose name. When I was kid (mid 80s) Mongoose was the BMX bike to have. Then in 1998 when I got my first real mountain bike it was an entry level Mongoose. Mongoose DX 6.5 aluminum frame hardtail with basic Rock Shox fork. Shimanto STR rear and Acera X front. Nothing fancy, but rock solid and worthy of ever bit if trail I threw at it. It was a bit heavy, but nothing broke. By 2003 I moved up to a new bike with lighter frame /components., but I still have my old Mongoose. Somewhere along the way Mongoose sold out and started making cheap crap bikes.

I makes me sad to see the Mongoose name assocaited with "cheap, crappy, & walmart".
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

What could go wrong ...
    they still have a decent line up of bikes that they dont sell through Wmart

Mongoose | Trail - MTB - Bikes
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Yes, that's fonetic
    After every trail ride I have to clean and lube the bike.
    Probably not, but is that their problem?

I refused to believe people when they told me this bike would crumble.
    Next time listen to advice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast