1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

My LBS has this bike, what do you think?

My LBS has a 2011 Trek Marlin Gary Fisher GB/W Paragon that they said they will let me put money down on and pay off over the winter at $1800.

It appears to have all top of the line components:

X9
    Fox Fork (wish it was 100mm)
    Avid Breaks

etc..etc..

Is that a pretty good deal? It comes with 1 year warranty. The top warranty is for 5 years and covers replacement for everything but breaks and tires, but costs an additional $250.

mtbr member
    paragon is a nice bike. if it fits...go for it.

mtbr member
    Is the bike the Marlin or Paragon? The specs point toward the Paragon. The frame has a lifetime warranty, and the wheels are 2 years. you're probably talking about the Red Shield plan that includes maintenance and failures due to wear and tear for the 5 years.

mtbr member
    See and im not sure how much these guys know at this LBS thats why ive been hesitant to deal with them. They were nice enough this time and definetely tried to help me, but the guy wasnt real sure of himself.

The bike they showed me has the same specs as the Paragon, but the kid told me it was a Marlin.

They have a 2011 Paragon listed on their Hot Sheet on the website so im pretty sure its actually a Paragon.

mtbr member
    I just looked up the specs online and its definetely a Paragon.

mtbr member
    It has to be a Paragon. If it's a Marlin, that's a terrible price.

If you like that style of bike, go for it. You could keep an eye on Ebay and pick up a Paragon frame... Fisher frames show up on there all the time for cheap, and build your own. That's the one downside to high end hardtails, they tend to depreciate very quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If it is the Paragon, $1800 is an OK deal at this point in the season. In some areas of the US I'd say that might be a touch high. I paid $1850 nine months ago. 2012 models will be coming soon. Maybe offer $1700 and see what they say.

great bike and I love mine. It does have 100mm of travel on the front fork. Frame is lifetime and whels are 2years.

What did "GB/W" in your original post mean?

mtbr member
    fireball when you say "style of bike" do you mean a 29er? Is there something very different about the Geometry of the Paragon compared to say the Stumpjumper I test rode?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    fireball when you say "style of bike" do you mean a 29er? Is there something very different about the Geometry of the Paragon compared to say the Stumpjumper I test rode?
    29er hardtail that's race oriented. $700, all you can really get is a 26'' hardtail, and they're all similar. $1800... you've got more options, including short and some long travel full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    GF uses "G2" geometry. every company will feel a little different..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In Wisconsin you will rarely need the long travel full suspension bike. If you looking for light weight (26lbs or less) and under $1800 a hardtail is about your only option. If the weight isn't as important (under 31 lbs) then more FS bikes become options and lots of HT bikes are available.

For price it depends on the shop and it could be hard to find one your size in stock. If they have lots of bikes in stock they will need to make room soon. If its there last 2011 race ready bike, then it will be tougher. Most Wisconsin shops will come down form MSRP quick, but $1800 might be as low as they go. Its a good deal.

Building up a bike can be more $$ even if you get a cheap frame. If you don't do the work yourself and don't shop hard for parts (ebay or used), you may spend more.

mtbr member
    Im going to test ride it tomorrow and if i like it, im going to put money down on it. To be honest im not a big fan of the colors (black?), but looks arent that big of a deal i suppose. It all looks good crossing the finish line if your in 1st place.....

mtbr member
    I thought it was part of the name but now I think the GB/W means Green Bay West, the site of the shop...lol.

mtbr member
    I should point out that long term lawaway is basically keeping your money at the bike shop instead of a bank earning interest.

Now the piddles you earn on a couple hundred in a saving account is going to be pennies, but the other thing to consider is what will be available 6 months from now.

Take this bike. Let's say it sits for 6 months and there is 60 feet of snow on the ground when you come back in January. Think the shop won't be desperate to sell it for even cheaper? But a layaway in August has just locked you in at a summer sale price.

Let's say you don't put down a down payment and it sells next week, there will always be another deal, especially in the winter.

But if you are planning on buying a mid level hardtail but won't have the money until the winter from now, you are probably better off reevaluating your goals. I hope you have a working bike now, and your goals may be dramatically different in the future.

Personally, I would only layaway a bike if I was going to buy it within 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Wow Sanjuro you make excellent points. I do have a working bike that I enjoy and will be fine for getting me through the rest of the year.

Good thinking about putting the money away and finding the best deal when I have the $2k. I was just really worried about losing the deal on this bike, thats why I was asking how good a deal it really was.

Of course once the bike is on layaway it is much easier to stay motivated to pay it off. While saying im gonna sock away 2k for a new bike late this winter is much easier said than done. I have to consider that.

Trail Ninja
    Some bikes sell faster than people imagine. If you come back in a couple weeks, that bike might be gone.

mtbr member
    As already mentioned above, $1800 is a ridiculous price for a Marlin. I should know, I paid less then half that for mine.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    i never understood layaway until someone mentioned how it at least holds the bike for you so someone else doesn't buy it. $1800 seems a little high as 2012s are coming out. i personally would wait since it isn't a killer deal.

try to be dedicated and save your cash. if it comes down to it, be willing to drive a few hours for the new bike. we had a 2010 paragon at my lbs for $1300 before this season- they were willing to go down to $1200.

i would wait since you wouldn't have the bike for quite sometime anyway. you are rolling the dice on the bike or another bike that fits you not being around, but i think the savings you can have (since it sounds like you're strapped for cash) is worth it.

just my $.02. my wife also says i comparison shop too much anyway and wait for the perfect deal. sometimes i get it, sometimes i don't

good luck!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL