1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

My Girlfriend's Wrist's Hurt

Hey Guys, I FINALLY got my Girlfriend to go out for the first time yesterday. She said she had a Great time but her wrists were really bothering her. She is Riding an '08 Mens Trek 3700 (She hated the Woman's bikes they had). I think She needs to be Stretched out a little more so her wrists aren't so... "Cramped." So Should I try and get a longer stem for her bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    more rise in the stem rather than length

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    or rotate the brake levers so that her wrists are straighter in her normal riding position... helped for me

DNINIT
    They also make grips that are a little wider if her hands/wrists hurt are tingle.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with itů Pee on it and walk away

mtbr member
    Stop using handcuffs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    Stop using handcuffs.
    ha! or use your own hand!!

if she is putting too much strain on her hands you can try changing the position she rides in, lower the seat/change handlebar position.

a longer stem would stretch her out, but a bar with a higher rise allows to fine tune the angle and can allow for a uprighter position. also a few stem spacers might help if your stack is tall enough, brake lever postion too. most stock grips arent terrific for shock absorption. and wrists are a area that'll become stronger, the more you ride, it could just be a issue of needing to be exercised to get stronger.

mtbr member
    You can also try to swap out the stock grips with a pair of Ergo grips. My wife had the same problem till we switched. They give your hand more of a surface area to rest on.

mtbr member
    Had the same problem on a new bike I bought last year. I tried a couple different riser bars until I found the one with just the right rise to leave me comfortable on the bike. It's surprising how just a very little change in rise either way will either leave me with too much pressure or my hands, or leave me sitting too upright. Once I found the balance between those two extremes, I was golden.

Ride the dream
    Another one not mentioned yet (though well worth checking) - make sure the seat isnt tilted forward at all, this puts more weight onto the wrists and can hurt like hell...

A picture of how the bike is set up right now would be useful - as if something like this were the case it would be obvious immediately.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, thanks for all the Replies! So can I Just Try and Raise the Bars up for her to see if this helps? Or do I need to Buy a new set of bars...or New Stem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    after looking at some specifications, it seems the bike already has a riser bar (30mm)and a stem with a 20 deg. angle. possibly, she is on the wrong size..

the wsd design uses a 40 deg. stem, if you can add a few spacers and turn the bars closer to the seat, you can simulate the same effect. but most likely you wont be able to add over about 5-10mm of spacer without bringing the top of the steerer under the top fastener on the stem. so...

you can buy a 40deg. stem and try that, or you can get a bar with a bigger rise. also, check here for detail on correct sizing.

http://www.cbss.ca/Custom.htm

mtbr member
    Could it just be she's using parts that she hasn't used in a way that she hasn't used them before? You have to acclimate.
    :wq

Certified Porsche Tech
    look at the way she has her wrists when riding. they should be fairly straight. I switched to ergon grips b/c my wrists were bothering me and I love them! There are other companies making similar grips but the quality doesn't look as nice. Also make sure she is using her elbow and shoulders to act as suspension and not her wrists.
    Odin! Guide our ships, our axes spears and swords!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
    look at the way she has her wrists when riding. they should be fairly straight. I switched to ergon grips b/c my wrists were bothering me and I love them! There are other companies making similar grips but the quality doesn't look as nice. Also make sure she is using her elbow and shoulders to act as suspension and not her wrists.
    That's what I was about to say. There could be something wrong with how the bike fits her, but it could also be the way she is riding. Some people lock their elbows when they ride, which then forces them to ride with their wrists bent backwards. This is bad technique, and it is bad for your wrists and elbows. As Mrledzeppelin said, look at her elbows and wrists when she is riding. Wrists almost flat, and elbows slightly bent. Not only does that keep pain away, it also makes it easier to control the bike.

edit: oh, and support your weigh with your core muscles, not your arms
    Last edited by Call_me_Al; 06-22-2008 at 01:27 PM.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Another one not mentioned yet (though well worth checking) - make sure the seat isnt tilted forward at all, this puts more weight onto the wrists and can hurt like hell...

A picture of how the bike is set up right now would be useful - as if something like this were the case it would be obvious immediately.
    X2, played with my seat angle a couple weeks ago and a little change makes a big difference. It was one of the few adjustments that I hadn't tried.

All great suggestions here so far.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...