1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My gears are going crazy....need help

Alright so let me start this off that now i can say im a complete moron at bikes. So last week me and a friend go riding and we decide to take off the back tires on our bikes in order to fit them into the car. We did this thinking how hard could it be to slap them on and go riding. So after we do this and start to ride the gears keep on trying to change like for instance when im in second trying to go to first it will start clicking and try to go to first and wont change. I just recently put my bike together and now it stays in first while im there but keeps changing to second automatically and then going right back into first. I think it may be that there slipping or something, but i dunno I can clarify more if you guys need it. I really want to go riding today and this just makes for a really frustrating ride. All of my LBS's are not open in time for me to make it. PLEASE HELP!!!!

There's no app for this.

You can

read up here and then you'll know how things work and better, how to fix them for free when they don't. Jim

http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

I post too much.
    Your derailleur may be out of tune, or your wheel may not be at the exact same spot in the drop-outs as it was.

29er wannabe
    Also make sure the skewers are good and snug.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most people take of the front wheel, then they only have to worry about the front brake being out of alignment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    alright thanks for the advice i actually fixed it temporarily. my bike was fine until about half way through the trail. i still have alot of learning to do, i know a guy whos alot more knowledgeable then me so im getting him to take a look at it. i think its just out of tune somehow.

MTBR Demi-God
    Another reason might be that the cable housing(s) are not secured properly in the cable stops, and is creating a slack on the cable... check to make sure that all of your cable housings are tight.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    May 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm my geras keep on sliping

can someone please sen me a video on how to but my gerars bk on properley if you couldnt i would have to pay for it to be fixed

pronounced may-duh
    Considering taking the wheel off and putting it back on started all this I'm 90% sure you simply did not put the back wheel on correctly. When you put in the drop outs make sure it's as far in as it can go then close the quick release. It's a common mistake for the wheel to get skewed when mounting and it will throw off the shifting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Considering taking the wheel off and putting it back on started all this I'm 90% sure you simply did not put the back wheel on correctly. When you put in the drop outs make sure it's as far in as it can go then close the quick release. It's a common mistake for the wheel to get skewed when mounting and it will throw off the shifting.
    Agreed, when I was a novice, I didn't put the rear wheel back on properly and all sorts of shifting issues. If the only change you made to your bike was taking off the rear wheel, then putting it back on right is the fix