mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Is my fork adjustable? how?

I have a new trek wahoo 29er and it has a SR Suntour XCT V3. I thought i read that it had adjustable preload but i dont really know what it means. There are knobs at the top of both of the tubes that have a + and - but im not really sure what either does. Can someone explain what all is adjustable on the fork and how i should possibly consider adjusting it?

Yes, that's fonetic
    The preload is adjustable. You should have approximately 30% sag on the fork. Translation: Adjust the preload so that when you carefully get on the bike w/o loading it with more than your weight in normal riding position (helps to have something to hold on to like a table or bench or have a buddy hold your bike) the fork sags 1/3 into it's travel. You can measure it with a small zip tie on the stanchion.

Picture Unrelated
    It looks like the +/- knobs are preload adjusting knobs. Plus is more preload, minus is less. Use the knobs to follow whodaphuck's directions on how to adjust preload.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you for this information. I had the same question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the same fork. It's a very entry level fork and you really aren't going to see much change with the "adjustment." That being said, it's a tank of a fork. I have beat the heck out of mine over the last year with rocks, crashes and jumps (definitely not it's intended use) and it is still going strong. It's not going to last forever but will serve you well. Just don't be disappointed when you can't fine tune it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jstaples View Post
    I have the same fork. It's a very entry level fork and you really aren't going to see much change with the "adjustment." That being said, it's a tank of a fork. I have beat the heck out of mine over the last year with rocks, crashes and jumps (definitely not it's intended use) and it is still going strong. It's not going to last forever but will serve you well. Just don't be disappointed when you can't fine tune it.
    I figured it wouldnt be a great fork, but coming from a fully rigid bike its awesome! Ill play with it some more tomorrow. So will the + make it stiffer and the - softer?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow7874 View Post
    So will the + make it stiffer and the - softer?
    In theory, yes. But those adjusters aren't made to make huge differences in preload so you might not feel much difference if any.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?