1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

My first visit to a bike park

I finally made it to Snow Summit (big Bear, California). Wow!

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, so I got the single ride ticket with the understanding I could upgrade.

I first rode 2N10 east. It was mostky a fire road and not too technical. I kept things slow and enjoyed the scenery. What is not fire road is paved street with a little uphill work. This is good for beginners. I could have challenged myself by going faster, but opted for a more technical trail for the next run.

I then upgraded to the day pass and spent the rest of the day on 2N10 west/Coyotee/Knickerbacher/Towne Trail. It is 4 miles long, mostly fire road, but about 33% singletrack. This was more technical in terms of rocks, debris and curves. There were a couple of spots where one could "get air." I wasn't one. There were two puddle crossings. I let the bike do all the work and it did just fine. There was also a bit of uphill. This really took it out of me due to the altitude.

I spent the night at a nearby hotel and then did 2 more runs before heading home.

Strava says my best time for the 4 miles was 12.8 mph. (KOM is like 19.) However, it really felt like I was closer to 30!

I can't wait to go back.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Lots of fun stuff up there to 'be explored.' It's nice to ride 'off property' now since most of the riders are still over the moon about the actual bike park on SS property.