mtbr member
    Oct 2011

My first "Should I buy this ____29er" thread..

Hi!

I'm brand new to this forum but it seems friendly and very informative! I am looking for my first mountain bike and stumbled upon an ad for a Sette Razzo 29er. The guy is selling it for under 600$ and says he put 2500$ into it....Here is the ad description: (which to me is basically a foreign language, haha)

22" XL Sette Razzo 29er mountain bike. This bike is for men over 6' tall. Shimano LX, XTR, Hayes stroker Trail hydraulic disc brakes, Chris King headset & bb set, custom frame bag, Marzocchi Bomber 44TST2 29er air shocks with lock out, Mavic A317/Shimano wheels front 15mm axel & Serfas City Drifter 29" tires.
    I have $2500 into this bike I'm asking $550.

I am 6'1 and about 230lbs.

What is the consensus on the components? I am not familiar with any of the things listed and would really appreciate someones input. Thank you so much!
    (I've got pictures but I guess I dont have enough post to put them up)

Just Ride
    I can't speak on the components as I'm new myself. When I was test riding this past weekend I rode a XL frame and it felt to big for me. I'm 6'2" 212 lbs, I decided to go with a large and I couldn't be happier. Maybe you'll be comfortable on a XL dunno, but I like the large as I can throw it around a bit! Yet it is still a good fit.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    A lot of it depends on the condition of the parts that are on it. If they're all doing well, then yeah-I'd say that $550 is a good deal on it. You should ride it and look it over the best you can. It's hard to tell when you're an ammature as to what to look for, but there are threads about that I believe. Simply put, the shifting is good, the wheels are messed up and un-true, no scratches on the stanchions of the fork, it holds together nicely-et cetera.

Get a feel for what the 29er is like, as it is different from a "regular" 26 inch wheel.
    Also, an XL could work for you. Different companies run their sizes differently. I ride a Norco Range XL frame and it feels a lot like a regular large frame from other bikes I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I sat on a 21" at a LBS and it rubbed my crotch a little too much for comfort....The 19" on the other hand felt just right.... Is craigslist the best/only place people go to list used mt bikes? Any other good source to check daily? I have looked on bikesdirect but dont really know how far my 800$ budget will take me for a nice 29er hardtail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nottheliving View Post
    I sat on a 21" at a LBS and it rubbed my crotch a little too much for comfort....The 19" on the other hand felt just right.... Is craigslist the best/only place people go to list used mt bikes? Any other good source to check daily? I have looked on bikesdirect but dont really know how far my 800$ budget will take me for a nice 29er hardtail...
    Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more! is a potential good source for used bikes, parts, etc.