1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

My First ride on a "real" mountain bike WORSE day of my life!!!

This spring I decided I would try to seriously get into mountain biking. I had a bike with no suspension that I had rode on some single track and I liked it so i wanted to get something that wouldn't beat the crap out of me when i ride aggressive. I found a pretty good deal on a New 2004 Haro extreme 2 supposedly a freeride bike so i got it figuring i don't mind the harder pedalling if i cant break it.

First ride today on a little 3 mile loop of single track near dark. well about a mile and a half in my chain comes off i put it back on and not 20 yards further my back tire locks up and my rear shifter shoots up and the tire falls off chain broke ( not sure if that derailer is screwed or whatelse i did). To make a long story short I had to ditch the bike cause i got lost it was dark and make my way out of the woods. guess i'll try to find my bike first thing in the morning.

I guess my back tire was not latched securely not sure though any idea how much damage i did hopefully i'll find the bike in the morning i've only put 30 minutes of riding on it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds to me that chain may have fallen off top bracket into the wheel and sucked the derailer into the spokes.

I had that happen to me because the gears weren't adjusted properly but it wasn't quite so catastrophic. I had to trplace the derailer but nothing else.

Thats pretty gutting man. Post some photos of the damage later perhaps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Maybe now you know why you got such a good deal on the bike.

I hope it was a really really great deal because I would never ditch my bike. Personally, no matter where I'm going, if I'm riding I bring along a thermal top and a windable flashlight. I figure that in a worst-case scenario I can suvive overnight if I'm warm and I can see. But, no way I'm leaving my bike behind.

Not trying to make light of your situation at all. That sucks. But, on the other hand, my dad always told me, "You get what you pay for."

local trails rider
    Hope your bike is still there when you go looking for it....

It is pretty clear that something in your drivetrain was not as it should be. It is unlikely that anything really expensive (if anything at all) is broken. Your bike needs to be checked by someone who knows what he is doing (or you need to get a good maintenance manual).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...lance&n=283155

Flying Goat
    maybe the previous owner gave it a real beating... it is after all a freeride bike...

mtbr member
    May 2006

The Bike Was Brand New

But Im Off For A Hike Woohoo

mtbr member
    Sounds like a poor assembly job by the bike shop.

Similar thing happened to me when I first got my Freeride bike last year. I mean a $2600 bike, you expect it to be good to go. Well I thought I had double checked everything, but I didn't double check the tightness of the front derailleur. Anyway I was going pretty fast and I went over this jump, when I landed and started to pedal, suddenly, POP Crack ping ping ping. The entire drivetrain exploded. The front derailleur had twisted because of the loose bolt. Then once I cranked with it like that, it busted the front derailleur, and pulled the rear derailleur into the spokes. Damage on my first ever ride:

1) New Front Derailleur
    2) New Rear Derailleur
    3) New Chain
    4) New Derailleur Hanger
    5) 2 New Spokes

That really sucked, and the shop where I bought it wouldn't take responsibility. So I was out an extra $150 to fix it. After this no problems with the bike, other than stuff than a busted derailleur because coming up short on a jump.

mtbr member
    No bike left behind! Seriously, you could have put it on your back and walked back, i find walking with the top tube across your shoulders and holding onto the seat post and stem is doable for quite a distance.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Wow....

What room of the zoo is this? It must me the monkey room because all I can hear is monkeys. All I can see are monkeys. Monkeys everywhere. Monkeys just making up the world in their little brains as the clock hands turn.

Bye monkeys. Time to see another room in the zoo!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Just went and found my bike...

I only left it cause i was lost it was night and i was in a rain storm, but it was still there..
    The rear derailer is completly flipped up looks twisted too. Does this mean that it's broke or can it be fixed?? i'll try to get some pics up

ride hard take risks
    Pic's would be nice. Possibly the derailleur bracket got bent when you lost the chain so when you started riding after reinstalling the chain the derailleur got sucked into the spokes the rest of the way. You probibly will need a derailleur bracket, possibly a derailleur & some spokes replaced & wheel trued. You made a coment that the wheel may not have been tight, did you remove the wheel for transport?

Metal
    thornc19 - Glad you found your bike!

Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Your bike needs to be checked by someone who knows what he is doing (or you need to get a good maintenance manual).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...lance&n=283155
    Hey, thanks for these links. Sounds like a great book. I think I'll get it even before I get a MTB. I know old school BMX repair, but have always been intimidated by derailers and whatnot.

ack
    Straight is better than flat.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by AchrisK
    thornc19 - Glad you found your bike!

Hey, thanks for these links. Sounds like a great book. I think I'll get it even before I get a MTB. I know old school BMX repair, but have always been intimidated by derailers and whatnot.

ack
    These are some nice sites for when you want to click & search.

http://www.webmountainbike.com/maintenance.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Metal
    thanks!
    Straight is better than flat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would leave a finger behind before I left my bike! If I was that lost and felt like I had to leave my bike....well I know where I'd be camping until the rain stopped and the sun came up! On a serious note I hope the bike shop owns up to what clearly sounds like a crappy job of putting the thing together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    didnt u guys read it correctly. there were also 3 gangsta bears with a gun and a knife!!!! thank god he left the bike and saved his life. ive seen what them thug bears can do. nah, just added that cuz now its raining. neways, sorry to hear about ur rig. lucky u didnt kill ur self out there by urself. kill the guy that sold u the bike without checking it out.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by thornc19
    I only left it cause i was lost it was night and i was in a rain storm, but it was still there..
    The rear derailer is completly flipped up looks twisted too. Does this mean that it's broke or can it be fixed?? i'll try to get some pics up
    So how is the bike doing???

mtbr member
    May 2006

this got even weirder

My dealers goina be out of town for the summer so he is going to give my money back. I get to go bike shoping again hopefully the next one will last a little longer. Any ideas for a tough little bike around 500-700 bucks??

ride hard take risks
    That is one wacked experience, should write a book.

Check out Ibex, awsome bang for the buks great customer service. They are a net company so they can keep the price down & offer up a amazing bike for the price.

If you want FS.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-2-Details.html

Or HT
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

Freshly Fujified

Calling your bluff

My dealers goina be out of town for the summer so he is going to give my money back. I get to go bike shoping again hopefully the next one will last a little longer. Any ideas for a tough little bike around 500-700 bucks??

Sorry dude, but this story just seems too bizarre to be real. First off, too many components failed in one shot. Is it possible? Yes, but doubtful. Second, you don't leave your brand new bike behind, rain or not. Third, the LBS isn't going to refund your money for a bike you trashed. Fix it, maybe, money back, doubtful. Lastly, what friggin' bike store closes for the summer??

Sorry, but this one reeks of BS
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Sorry dude, but this story just seems too bizarre to be real. First off, too many components failed in one shot. Is it possible? Yes, but doubtful. Second, you don't leave your brand new bike behind, rain or not. Third, the LBS isn't going to refund your money for a bike you trashed. Fix it, maybe, money back, doubtful. Lastly, what friggin' bike store closes for the summer??

Sorry, but this one reeks of BS
    ditto

mtbr member
    May 2006

Don't have to believe it but it happened..

The bike shop is ran out of his house he just fixes bikes on the side... but went down to help with katrina i actually bought it from his wife it was the last fs left. so since he couldn't fix it he gave me a refund.. thats a west virginia warrenty lol

Glad to Be Alive

did you buy it from a shop......I would take it back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Freshly Fujified

Thanks for the explanation

The bike shop is ran out of his house he just fixes bikes on the side... but went down to help with katrina i actually bought it from his wife it was the last fs left. so since he couldn't fix it he gave me a refund.. thats a west virginia warrenty lol
    It all makes perfect sense now.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    did you buy it from a shop......I would take it back
    Hopefully you don't mean "take it back" as in return it. 90% of the time it's not the shop's fault; if anything it was a faulty/cheap component.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast