1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

My first REAL bike... 08' cannondale C02 F5, any recommendations?

Well, I finally got a real bike!! I have learned the hard way that walmart bikes aren't real bikes, they just have a name stamped on them!!

Anyways, for the price range I was locked in, I fell I made the best choice. The bike, to me, feels great and the front end is very responsive. It has good snap to it and without really experiencing any true trails, I think this bike has the nimbleness to get me through some fun stuff.

However, with time.. I'm gonna want to upgrade, as I do with everything I own! Now, modifications are very personal to improve what you feel needs to be improved... but, from what it already known, do any of ya'll have real-world suggestions on what I might want to look at in the future?

I'm about 5'11" 200lbs. The bikes as sram x.5 components, with x.7 front D. It also has a DART 3 fork, CST caballero tires, WTB speed disc all mountain wheels and shimano disc brakes. For stock, it's not bad. I did swap the seat and got a value pack with a pump, lights, hand tools, etc. Water carried and bottle.

The trails in south florida, which i know only of Amelia Earhart and Oleta River, They seem to be more single-track, XC stuff, not so much of big dirt jumps, rock beds, etc.

I have read that the wheels and tires would be a good place to start, thus, within a good price range, what would the best, lightest wheel/tire setup for these types of trails?

Anyways, thanks! Cannot wait to get out there. Hope to see some of you guys/gals out at the trails!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    not a bad setup...I would personally start with the fork. I had a dart 3 come stock on my bike and it was terrible. Bottomed out on technical stuff and acted more like a pogo stick than a shock. Forget about the wheels for now. Just get better rubbers...Panaracer XC Pros.

General rule is if it breaks...than upgrade

but i promise that you will get, feel, and notice more of a reward upgrading your fork over a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks. I'm into street bikes and when going to lighter wheels, it bike just blasts off. Thus, I figured that would also work here.

I have read a few reviews and posts about the RockShox busting seals, which is a bit frustrating. I have been looking at some of the Fox racing stuff, mostly the 36" Float RC2. Expensive stuff for sure. I really don't much about any other brands as Fox is well known to me with the ATV stuff.

Anyways, so a set of Panaracer XC pros. huh? thanks brotha!