mtbr member
    Jul 2008

My first REAL bike... 08' cannondale C02 F5, any recommendations?

Well, I finally got a real bike!! I have learned the hard way that walmart bikes aren't real bikes, they just have a name stamped on them!!

Anyways, for the price range I was locked in, I fell I made the best choice. The bike, to me, feels great and the front end is very responsive. It has good snap to it and without really experiencing any true trails, I think this bike has the nimbleness to get me through some fun stuff.

However, with time.. I'm gonna want to upgrade, as I do with everything I own! Now, modifications are very personal to improve what you feel needs to be improved... but, from what it already known, do any of ya'll have real-world suggestions on what I might want to look at in the future?

I'm about 5'11" 200lbs. The bikes as sram x.5 components, with x.7 front D. It also has a DART 3 fork, CST caballero tires, WTB speed disc all mountain wheels and shimano disc brakes. For stock, it's not bad. I did swap the seat and got a value pack with a pump, lights, hand tools, etc. Water carried and bottle.

The trails in south florida, which i know only of Amelia Earhart and Oleta River, They seem to be more single-track, XC stuff, not so much of big dirt jumps, rock beds, etc.

I have read that the wheels and tires would be a good place to start, thus, within a good price range, what would the best, lightest wheel/tire setup for these types of trails?

Anyways, thanks! Cannot wait to get out there. Hope to see some of you guys/gals out at the trails!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    not a bad setup...I would personally start with the fork. I had a dart 3 come stock on my bike and it was terrible. Bottomed out on technical stuff and acted more like a pogo stick than a shock. Forget about the wheels for now. Just get better rubbers...Panaracer XC Pros.

General rule is if it breaks...than upgrade

but i promise that you will get, feel, and notice more of a reward upgrading your fork over a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks. I'm into street bikes and when going to lighter wheels, it bike just blasts off. Thus, I figured that would also work here.

I have read a few reviews and posts about the RockShox busting seals, which is a bit frustrating. I have been looking at some of the Fox racing stuff, mostly the 36" Float RC2. Expensive stuff for sure. I really don't much about any other brands as Fox is well known to me with the ATV stuff.

Anyways, so a set of Panaracer XC pros. huh? thanks brotha!