1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

My first mountain bike trail ride

Went on my first mountain bike trail ride this weekend and throughly enjoyed it. Definitely see myself doing more of it but continued to lose control while riding through excessive downhill. Proper way to handle this? Here's the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaToAe9Fkg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you using both brakes? How much air pressure are you using? Are the tires the right ones for where you are riding?Losing control how? Going to fast ? Skidding tires?Falling or almost falling?Feel like going over the bars?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Everything on the bike is up to speed. I found myself using both breaks but applying to much pressure. I picked up on the fact that if I'm going downhill on a trail and I apply to much, I'll slide instead of stop. I'm still working on getting to a comfortable pace speed wise. Trying to learn how to properly absorb all the rocks and roots I'm going over if that makes sense.

mtbr member
    You can't let that horse stare you down like that.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    You can't let that horse stare you down like that.

John
    haha pretty sweet, huh? Horse wasn't having it haha

My little friends
    Try shifting your weight back a bit and lightening the front end going downhill, keep the front wheel light so it floats over obstacles. As for the brakes, remember; the front is for stopping, the rear is for control.

mtbr member
    I watched the video. Couple o comments..

On the wreck...it looked like ( based on your knees ) you were seated, and had been for a while. Get up in an attack position. YouTube can help here.

I can literally see the tendons in your hand as you death grip the grips. Remember, light hands, heavy feet is the goal. Drive the heels down. Think about the hands. Are they pulling? Are they pushing as they hold up your weight?

They shouldn't be..not without purpose. As a default, your hands should be light on the grips...this matters cause the only way to accomplish this is by having your body in the right spot over the bike.

Feel like your hands are holding you up and pushing? Move your arse back. Drive your heels to the ground. Hands pulling? Move up on the bike.

Light hands, heavy feet.

'Tis but a scratch
    In watching the video of the 1 crash, I had the same impression and the same first thought - that you were sitting the whole time.

I won't repeat what JasonC71 said, but he is right on the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonC71 View Post
    I watched the video. Couple o comments..

On the wreck...it looked like ( based on your knees ) you were seated, and had been for a while. Get up in an attack position. YouTube can help here.

I can literally see the tendons in your hand as you death grip the grips. Remember, light hands, heavy feet is the goal. Drive the heels down. Think about the hands. Are they pulling? Are they pushing as they hold up your weight?

They shouldn't be..not without purpose. As a default, your hands should be light on the grips...this matters cause the only way to accomplish this is by having your body in the right spot over the bike.

Feel like your hands are holding you up and pushing? Move your arse back. Drive your heels to the ground. Hands pulling? Move up on the bike.

Light hands, heavy feet.
    Thank you very much for the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeC View Post
    Went on my first mountain bike trail ride this weekend and throughly enjoyed it. Definitely see myself doing more of it but continued to lose control while riding through excessive downhill. Proper way to handle this? Here's the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaToAe9Fkg
    where is this? this looks like an awesome trail for my family and girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It was on a private trail on a buddies property. I'm not to familiar with the area

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks like a nice trail to start on. The trail I started on has a lot of quick steep descents on a dirt/sandy trail and I looked like a 15 yr-old girl driving a car for the first time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Make sure you are looking where you want to go and not where you don't want to go.
    If you look at that rut,root or rock you don't want to hit odds are you will hit it.
    Last edited by Grogfish; 06-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Honestly for a first trail ride you look like you did fine! I don't know how many times I crashed and bailed on my 1st trail ride. Ride more, you'll get better. Find a better rider to see how they do some stuff. Line choice can make a big difference on technical stuff. Brakes are a tricky thing, brake power comes from the front, but if you try braking with the bars turned, you'll more likely than not bail. When coming to a rough spot, try to slow down before you actually get to it and ease off the brakes when you do hit it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentwu817 View Post
    Looks like a nice trail to start on. The trail I started on has a lot of quick steep descents on a dirt/sandy trail and I looked like a 15 yr-old girl driving a car for the first time.
    Yeah, this sounds about right!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You really shouldn't make a blanket statement that 15 year old girls can't ride ,I've seen and ridden with some really good female riders.More that a few that would ride circles around most guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    You really shouldn't make a blanket statement that 15 year old girls can't ride ,I've seen and ridden with some really good female riders.More that a few that would ride circles around most guys.
    Cool story bro!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    You really shouldn't make a blanket statement that 15 year old girls can't ride.
    He said 'driving a car for the first time' not 'riding a bicycle with a bunch of experience'. Pretty major difference there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Honestly for a first trail ride you look like you did fine! I don't know how many times I crashed and bailed on my 1st trail ride. Ride more, you'll get better. Find a better rider to see how they do some stuff. Line choice can make a big difference on technical stuff. Brakes are a tricky thing, brake power comes from the front, but if you try braking with the bars turned, you'll more likely than not bail. When coming to a rough spot, try to slow down before you actually get to it and ease off the brakes when you do hit it.
    Very insightful! Thank you