mtbr member
    May 2016

My first FS 29er....

I fixed my old 90's Schwinn High Plains up a few months ago and began riding pavement and paved paths. The plan was to get my cardio up and see how I liked riding. If I decided I would stick with it, then I would upgrade to a better bike. Coming from a cross country dirt bike racing background, I knew trails were where I would be happiest.

I've been riding 3-4 days a week, 7-10 miles per ride. Just did my first 15 miler yesterday, so lately I was thinking I'm ready to ease into the trails. There's a 7 mile single track loop an easy ride from the house that I can hit just about any time.

I decided I had to have a FS 29er and it would be an entry level bike due to price point. After searching Craigslist for a couple of weeks and looking in some of the bigger bike shops out of town, I decided to buy a 2015 KHS Bajada for $1400 from my small LBS. (I live in a very small town and made the decision to support local). BAJADA - KHS BicyclesKHS Bicycles

I know most parts are low level stuff and I'll replace it as I fix it.

Any opinions on this bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork would be the first upgrade, the shock is ok.
    For that money I would buy a Norco Torrent 7.2 27.5+ hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The fork would be the first upgrade, the shock is ok.
    For that money I would buy a Norco Torrent 7.2 27.5+ hardtail.
    I totally understand I could get a hard tail with much nicer components for that kind of money, but I know I'll be on the seat a lot, so i wanted to save my butt. I figure more comfort equals longer riding time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas_24112 View Post
    I totally understand I could get a hard tail with much nicer components for that kind of money, but I know I'll be on the seat a lot, so i wanted to save my butt. I figure more comfort equals longer riding time.
    The Torrent has 2.8 Plus tires and will take 3.0s. Those add compliance way beyond any hardtail with skinny 2.2 or 2.3 tires on skinny rims. You won't get beat up but you'll be able to ride very techy terrain with much more fun then an entry level fs bike. No maintenance either.
    Scott also has a Scale 720 Plus and Spec a Fuse 6Fattie. You should demo one. Game changer. It's not really a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas_24112 View Post
    I fixed my old 90's Schwinn High Plains up a few months ago and began riding pavement and paved paths. The plan was to get my cardio up and see how I liked riding. If I decided I would stick with it, then I would upgrade to a better bike. Coming from a cross country dirt bike racing background, I knew trails were where I would be happiest.

I've been riding 3-4 days a week, 7-10 miles per ride. Just did my first 15 miler yesterday, so lately I was thinking I'm ready to ease into the trails. There's a 7 mile single track loop an easy ride from the house that I can hit just about any time.

I decided I had to have a FS 29er and it would be an entry level bike due to price point. After searching Craigslist for a couple of weeks and looking in some of the bigger bike shops out of town, I decided to buy a 2015 KHS Bajada for $1400 from my small LBS. (I live in a very small town and made the decision to support local). BAJADA - KHS BicyclesKHS Bicycles

I know most parts are low level stuff and I'll replace it as I fix it.

Any opinions on this bike?
    Looks like a fun bike! I haven't quite hit the fatbike scene yet, so no real input about those, but I do have a 29er and love it! Geometry looks good for what you're asking out of it and the big wheels carry a lot of speed once they get rolling. Upgrading as you go along is a fine option that many people choose to do.
    The only opinion that really matters is yours. So, how do you like it?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    congrats, lets see some pics

mtbr member
    Boy are we spooled when we looked down on a bike with air shocks and rebound for and aft thats running Shimano brakes and has a clutch derailer.

Nice looking bike go have fun on it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'll get some pics up soon. I put around 15 miles on the bike this weekend on the trails near the house. All single track...rocky, rooty, some flow, some switchbacks....but all good fun. The bikes so much of an improvement over my old Schwinn, there's no point in comparing. Getting used to the gearing and suspension right now. Pretty sure I bottomed the rear shock a couple of times, so I'll add a little air and see how it goes. Will play around with suspension and air pressure as I get used to it and become more aggressive. All in all, great fun and great work out. I'm pretty sore today, lol. I love it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My first FS 29er....-img_3307.jpg

Been a while, but here's a pic. Awesome bike and I've been riding the crap out of it.