1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

And My First Bike Will Be........

a 2011 Cannondale Trail SL2. I pick it up in a couple weeks and the wait is killing me. Now to hit the gym and get the legs ready. Thanks to everyone on this forum and the wealth of tips, info, and knowledge (and beer talk).

mtbr member
    congrats man. i just got a cannondale trail 6 for my first bike a few weeks back. just make sure u get a good helmet and a camelbak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i been looking at Trail 4 at my LBS they only have one and the only thing holding me back is that its Red i want the Grey but they dont have it in my size I HATE Red im a Blue Guy lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats on the new bike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ....nice choice! I'm actually contemplating picking one up for myself. I'm torn between the SL 2 or waiting for the 2012 version of it.

All in all, excellent choice, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Just FYI. My LBS guy said that there shouldn't be many changes on the 2012 SL 2 since 2011 was the first year for the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...yeah, my LBS said the same, think they're going all SRAM on components , tires will be Shwalbe etc... colors appear to be more racing "inspired".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustydog71 View Post
    ...yeah, my LBS said the same, think they're going all SRAM on components , tires will be Shwalbe etc... colors appear to be more racing "inspired".
    Kind of in the same boat as well. Trying to decide if I want the Trail SL 2 29er 2011 today, or wait for the 2012 with the Rockshox fork and SRAM X5 hardware. Still no idea, though unlike the above poster I want the 2011 in Red, which may no longer be available and thus make the decision for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...my guy at the LBS said looks like the price may go up $80-$100 on the 2012's. Don't know if its really worth it to pay that much more, I might stop by and ride the 2011 once more before I commit to buying a newer model, can't really justify paying that much more...

Cheaa
    Any of you guys have trouble with the stock tubes on this bike? This is my buddies 4th flat...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The SL2 is on top of my short list, I am hoping to pull the trigger shortly. The blue is, well, nice...

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by dstaks View Post
    Any of you guys have trouble with the stock tubes on this bike? This is my buddies 4th flat...
    Only defect of tubes that I can think of is bad valves, but other than that your buddy's getting flats due to one or more of these things:
    - air pressure too high
    - air pressure too low
    - thorn or other sharp objects (this would be obvious, of course)
    - pinch flats

Only way to solve his flat issues would be to go tubeless or use slime tubes.

Cheaa
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon View Post
    Only defect of tubes that I can think of is bad valves, but other than that your buddy's getting flats due to one or more of these things:
    - air pressure too high
    - air pressure too low
    - thorn or other sharp objects (this would be obvious, of course)
    - pinch flats

Only way to solve his flat issues would be to go tubeless or use slime tubes.
    Thanks for the tips I'll let him know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustydog71 View Post
    ...my guy at the LBS said looks like the price may go up $80-$100 on the 2012's. Don't know if its really worth it to pay that much more, I might stop by and ride the 2011 once more before I commit to buying a newer model, can't really justify paying that much more...
    When I was at the LBS the guy helping me and I had a lengthy discussion about this exact trend. Another good example is the 2012 Specialized Rockhopper. It's base price jumped from $720 to $880. When I started researching bikes I kept seeing 2005/2006 prices at around $500 to $600 for bikes with good mid-line components. Today we seem to be paying $900 to $1000 for the same bikes.

I just wonder when these companies are going to price themselves out of the market and lose sales/revenue to less expensive alternatives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CampChef View Post
    When I was at the LBS the guy helping me and I had a lengthy discussion about this exact trend. Another good example is the 2012 Specialized Rockhopper. It's base price jumped from $720 to $880. When I started researching bikes I kept seeing 2005/2006 prices at around $500 to $600 for bikes with good mid-line components. Today we seem to be paying $900 to $1000 for the same bikes.

I just wonder when these companies are going to price themselves out of the market and lose sales/revenue to less expensive alternatives.

Without getting into a blame game/ politcal argument etc, its called inflation. Lots of these parts are coming overseas, and our dollar isn't nearly worth what it used to be.

Add in rising fuel costs, the popularity of biking has increased. Higher demand=higher prices etc etc etc. Lots of forces pushing up prices.

Getting used or last years model isn't a bad idea to save some money
    That said, you still can find some decent bikes and parts for 500-600.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    i been looking at Trail 4 at my LBS they only have one and the only thing holding me back is that its Red i want the Grey but they dont have it in my size I HATE Red im a Blue Guy lol
    I'm a blue and gray type of guy too but I think after looking at that Red Trail SL4 a few times you may find yourself agreeing with the color a little more than you think. It looks NICE and I its probably one of the few times I'd go for a bright color like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Numbtoyou View Post
    Without getting into a blame game/ politcal argument etc, its called inflation. Lots of these parts are coming overseas, and our dollar isn't nearly worth what it used to be.

Add in rising fuel costs, the popularity of biking has increased. Higher demand=higher prices etc etc etc. Lots of forces pushing up prices.

Getting used or last years model isn't a bad idea to save some money
    That said, you still can find some decent bikes and parts for 500-600.
    Exactly.
    There's been a steady climb in U.S. prices and it has nothing do with the product itself.

mtbr member
    Congrats! Bet you are just chomping at the bit to get on it

mtbr member
    You've got that right! My wife gets to test ride bikes tomorrow. It will be between Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale. I think she'll like the SL3, but I'll have to wait and see. I might have to ride the SL2 again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Grats dude! Post pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The 2012 base Rockhopper has different options then the base 2011 Rockhopper...such as standard hydraulic disc brakes....just sayin Increase in price is understandable, but I get your point

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    a 2011 Cannondale Trail SL2. I pick it up in a couple weeks and the wait is killing me. Now to hit the gym and get the legs ready. Thanks to everyone on this forum and the wealth of tips, info, and knowledge (and beer talk).

congrats. did you buy at LBS or online?

mtbr member
    LBS. They brought the price down to $929 which I thought was a fair deal. I also picked up an SL3 for my wife so I know they liked that. We've been riding nearly 3 times a week for the past 2 weeks on paved paths. She's not quite ready for the dirt, but we'll get there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    awesome purchase! I'm in the same boat as you. The girlfriend and i are going to start riding so any lbs we went into was like oooh sell two bikes! We were going to pick up a pair of SL2s at bicycles plus here in tx. This shop easily was the most friendly and patient with our questions. We picked out our SL2s and then i saw a rz120 and just for curiosities sake i asked to ride it. Sure was the answer.. wish he woulda said no because it cost me more money.. '12 RZ120 should be here the last day of august and her Lexi 120 should be here in a week or so. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anywhere to find these online or have to get from a shop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast