mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My first 29er (Vassago Bandersnatch) and XTR...

Hello,

I've only been riding (Yeti ARC) for a few months and recently decided to buy my first 29er. It's a Vassago Bandersnatch and I've also procured an XTR group (8 piece) group. There is an option in the group for the type of Front Derailleur, which I've listed below. On the Vassago site it lists the derailleur setup as "Ft. derailleur 28.6mm clamp. Low Mount/Top Swing." So my question is, which of the below front derailleurs do I need? Thanks in advance for your help.

XTR Crank 175mm (22-32-44) with BB

XTR Cassette 11-34T (9 Speed)

XTR Brakes Front & Rear 160mm (both)

XTR Trigger Shifters Front & Rear (9 Speed)

XTR Rear Derailleur M972 shadow carbon cage (long)

XTR Front Derailleur M971 down swing, top or bottom pull,

31.8mm or 34.9mm mounting (1-1/4 or 1-3/8")

Rotors RT75 (XT) 6 bolt mounting (with bolts)

Chain CN-HG93 (XT)

http://vassagocycles.com/bandersnatch.html

mtbr member
    Poking around on the Googles and Shimano site, there's only one model of M971 Front Derailleur and it, uh, goes both ways.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...71.-type-.html

BTW - Nice bike choice. I have a Jabberwocky and I'm just a little in love with it. I love riding that bike.
    :wq

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like you need the M-970. Swing and mount both refer to where the derailleur cage is relative to the clamp. So when the say top swing, they mean it swings above the clamp, and when they say low mount they mean the version where the clamp sits lower. A little redundant, but there you go.

If you've already got the M-971 and can't return it, don't stress until you get the frame. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look to me like they actually change the seat tube diameter, so as long as the clamp fits in the right place despite the bottle cage eyelets, it's fine to use either derailleur.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you guys for your help. I can't wait for the frame to arrive in July. The last thing I need to do is have some wheels built. What are your suggestions for hubs, rims etc? I want to put the same caliber wheels on this bike as I have with the rest of the components. I'm not a small guy either. I'm well over 200lbs. Where should I be looking to buy them from and what is the price range anticipated? TIA.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fancy Mavics or DT rims on Chris King hubs, with double-butted spokes.

There are lighter and more expensive options, but Mavics will last a long time and I think it's hard to beat a 32-spoke cross-three wheel build for durability.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'd definitely go tubeless. For mine I did the Stan's Arch 29er rims with the tubeless tape and XT hubs. The hubs were a mistake on my part - they're kind of heavy and haven't been all that great. If you've got the money to spend, go with a set of King hubs. Otherwise, try some Paul Components or Hope's
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nacho,

Can you check you private messages? Thanks in advance.

Members who have read this thread: 0