1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Is my derailleur dying?

Heya,

So here's a little background; got a Gary Fisher Marlin in early June and I've been riding about 3 days a week out here in Park City. I'm digging this whole mountain biking thing, and I just put some clipless (520's) pedals on this thing. I love them! I can't believe I was riding on flats around here before.

But with all the positive things going on with my mountain biking, I'm running into a problem. My rear derailleur is giving me some trouble. I couldn't shift at all below about the 5th gear, so I took it into the local bike shop. They tweaked the thing a bit, and it shifts fine on a stand now. But it's still giving me minor problems/not shifting all the time/making noise (not much, just a whisper) while pedaling.

How quickly can you possibly kill a derailleur? Could I have really killed this thing in 2 months? It's not the best quality derailleur, I believe a Shimano Deore LX, but I didn't think it'd die this fast. Does it just need more adjusting, or is the thing trying to tell me it's going to give up the ghost soon?

Thanks!

The train

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Probably needs minor cable tension adjustment with the barrel adjuster.

Here is Park Tools derailleur adjustment instructions. Bookmark the site, it has just about all of the service instructions you will ever need.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have a slight bend in the derailleur hanger. Your lbs can check that out for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ive ran the shimano deore LX on my bike for almost 3 years. its really banged up been through a hanger. but still shifts fine. you probably need to adjust it a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It may be damaged cable housing or bent hanger.
    Normally, if the hanger is bent, it feels like in some gears you have problem shifting up, in others - problem shifting down. Adjusting cable tension won't help then. At the LBS they are supposed to have a device for truing hangers.
    Frayed cable or damaged housing causes resistance when shifting, lowest gears may become unavailable.
    The derailleur itself may live pretty long, unless broken by accident. My Alivio (couple of levels below LX) is now 8 yo - and has been used without mercy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    shifts good on the stand, like crap on the trail usually equals some sort of cable or housing problem.

my lx rear d was a tank and hasnt failed yet.. but i junked an alivio in a month and had excessive play in a deore level rear d after 3 or 4 months of riding. lx stuff is pretty rock solid gear. not the lightest, not the smoothest, but it doesnt really get that much better.

Ride Responsibly
    lubed your chain lately?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    lubed your chain lately?
    Indeed! Also, when I took it into the LBS the guy took all the cables out, lubed them up, reindexed the thing and sent me on my way. In addition he also lubed up my chain as well.

Thanks for the links/ideas! If it keeps acting up I'll probably take it back to the LBS again and see what they've got to say. Thankfully they'll wrench on the thing for the first 90 days for free since I just got it this summer, and they've been awesome about answering questions/fixing the minor problems with the bike.

Hardtail Warrior
    I'm terrible at the minor derailleur adjustments so I don't know how much I can help but I do know that it can seem adjusted on a stand with no pressure on the chain/derailleur etc but once you get on it it's a whole different story. You can try fine tuning it yourself (which should be all that is needed) and if you can't fix it totally then take it back to the shop and tell them exactly what you told us. They should be able to make it perfect the second time around.

mtbr member
    My friend he killed his rear derailleur in 2 minuites and he only had the bike for 3 days .He went down a set of steps, I believe and somehow, his rear derailleur got bent into the spokes.I laughed so hard at him.

Bicycle repairman
    If the derailleur hanger is properly aligned, then throw a new quality cable with housing on. Sounds like something is hanging up a little.
    Too many bikes!