1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my butt hurts

mtbr member

my butt hurts

yea, only been on the bike 15 miles and boy, the stock seat is not so forgiving. do i need to invest in cycling pants or a better seator am i just a wimp?

thanks folks.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Give it time and it will get better.

mtbr member
    Listen to Nick.

My as# hurt like hell the first 2 weeks, but it really does 'adapt' and gets much better. I did find a nice pair of racing shorts that look like real shorts (read baggy) but have the pads on the hind end. These make a world of difference and I got them at the local sports store for $20.

mtbr member
    yea, did some searching on here. didnt realize it was something that i would get used to.

i think my LBS tech was explaining to me that i would have sore muscles after my first few rides, maybe he was trying to tell me my ass would hurt in a polite manner. i run and play hockey so i know my core is fairly strong. makes sense that the only thing that is sore is my bum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Good View Post
    Give it time and it will get better.
    Until you sit on an old shitty walmart bike with a fat saddle that makes you question every bike related dicision you've ever made

Honestly though, it does get better but only because you don't notice the pain after awhile. I'm planning on dishing out a bit on a really great saddle really soon.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    It really is true, the more you ride the less your butt will hurt.

I'd still recommend getting some bike shorts though. Not only will they give you a little cushion, but they can help prevent chafing too. And don't fall for buying a super-soft saddle. Excessive padding can increase the pressure between your load-bearing butt bones, which isn't good and can lead to problems worse than sore cheeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DONT go for the "fat boy" seat! not even a seat cover. im guessing you have two distinct sore spots, one on each butt cheek. its where you ass bone hs been smashing your tissue. it will go away, much like soreness after your first workout

mtbr member
    I would suggest if you are going to do any kind of regular riding, cycling shorts are a must. You can get the mtb variety where the roadie short is sewn into a pair of loose more fashionable cool guy shorts if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I would suggest if you are going to do any kind of regular riding, cycling shorts are a must. You can get the mtb variety where the roadie short is sewn into a pair of loose more fashionable cool guy shorts if you want.
    ^^ Thats what I got! They are great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruzGoblin View Post
    DONT go for the "fat boy" seat! not even a seat cover. im guessing you have two distinct sore spots, one on each butt cheek. its where you ass bone hs been smashing your tissue. it will go away, much like soreness after your first workout
    correct, thats exactly where i am sore

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    thanks, going to the sports store tomorrow

Nickel Havr
    Check that your seat is in the right position... I always run the nose of the seat down just a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

ummmm.. what!?
    Since I've gotten back into mountain biking... my ass still hurts after a days ride. Found out it mostly just my saddle. Bought a bike sporting a selle italia saddle and thought ooooo pricey must be nice. Its not. Sat on my brothers speed v today.. man what a difference. Probably why he's so slow.. too much time spent sitting in the saddle..
    Its a JEEP thing. I drive one and still don't understand..

Just Ride
    My ass killed me first few days too. Now I don't even notice the seat really.

mtbr member
    thanks for the tips folks. if im still sore after a couple weeks ill tweak or invest accordingly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    your ass will definitely build up a resistance the more you ride. Another tip I was given when I first started to ride was to lift up off the saddle a bit when you ride over roots or anything bumpy or rocky, that way your ass won't take so much of it

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Loose the gears, stand up, and "pedal Damn it"

mtbr member
    I've been riding on rock hard seats since I was a kid (my dad is a die-hard road biker). I was always told that a soft seat is worse on long rides. Any truth to that?

mtbr member
    i got fed up with my stock one and got a nice foam one for $30. i forget the name but theres a lot more padding and its more forgiving. u dont want one thats super soft either because it will bottom out and ur ass will be on the base of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Fantastic thread title!

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I was always told that a soft seat is worse on long rides. Any truth to that?
    Yes! The saddle doesn't have to be rock hard though, there is a middle ground.

From ye olde Sheldon Brown:
    When a cyclist finds a saddle uncomfortable, the first impulse is often to look for a soft one. This is often a mistake. Just as the softest mattress is not necessarily the most comfortable to sleep on, the softest saddle is not the most comfortable to cycle on.

Imagine sitting down on a coffee table. Your weight is concentrated on the two bumps of your "sit bones", also known as the "ischial tuberosities." These are the parts of your body designed to bear your seated weight. Most cases of saddle-related discomfort arise because the load is carried on the soft tissues between the sit bones.

Imagine placing a soft pillow on top of the coffee table. Now, as you sit down on it, the sit bones compress the pillow, which yields until the sit bones are almost on the table surface again. The difference is that now, you have pressure in between your sit bones from the middle part of the pillow.

In the same way, a saddle with excessively soft, thick padding can make you less comfortable by increasing the pressure between your sit bones.

Many cyclists are unaware of this, and many saddles are made to appeal to the purchaser who chooses a saddle on the basis of how easily the thumb can sink into the squishy top. This type of saddle is only comfortable for very short rides, (though an inexperienced cyclist will often find it more comfortable than a better saddle, as long as rides don't exceed a mile or two.)

Saddles with excessive padding are also a common cause of painful chafing of the inner thigh, as rides become longer.
    Also keep in mind that a saddle isn't supposed to support all your weight. Your legs and arms should be carrying some of the load too.
    Last edited by COTarHeel; 08-07-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: emphasis added

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My comfiest saddle is my smallest and least cushioned one.

local jackass
    My roadie seat has very little padding and I love it. My Mtb is a wtb vigo very comfy but not to much padding.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Try a couple of things

Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    yea, only been on the bike 15 miles and boy, the stock seat is not so forgiving. do i need to invest in cycling pants or a better seator am i just a wimp?

thanks folks.
    First, it's all true you will develop less pain as you ride. A good pair of shorts with a chamois (either sewn in, or removeable) is a great investment.
    ALSO, don't pass up on using a chamois cream ( ASSOS or Chamois Butt'r ) on the pad and also wherever you might chafe (inside thighs, depends on your body shape).

I have been wearing the baggy style shorts with sewn in pads for years ( my favorites are the NEMA Crown Jewel, but they fit tight when I gain too much waist (weight)) but I always use the chamois cream. Prevents thigh chafing and ass rub.

Good luck.

local trails rider
    Better keep your rides on the short side until you get used to saddle time. Pain is not fun.

I do OK with non-padded shorts/pants but I am probably in a minority. On trails I'm out of the saddle a lot, riding singlespeed, but a couple of hours of seated riding on roads and streets goes without pains too. I've been doing it for a while and have seats that suit me....

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went out and got the fox launch shorts after my first day of riding left my rear end completely sore and after that day never had an issue once I got the shorts. The thin layer of padding makes a hugeeee difference !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast