1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: My butt hurts

mtbr member

My butt hurts

I've been commuting with my bike for awhile now and my butt is still getting sore. Should I get a pair of shorts with the pad or should I find a nice comfy seat?

My seat is a WTB Pure V Sport.
    Arron
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    get a good pair of chamois shorts and a Brooks saddle

Hey! Watch This!
    Get the shorts first. That should fix it. If not, then get the seat.

Since you are commuting, get the lycra/spandex whatever shorts with the pad. This will allow you to wear whatever you want (if anything) over them to go places. I have pearl izumi shorts and I could not ask for better, they were absolutely worth the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat_sr11
    Get the shorts first. That should fix it. If not, then get the seat.

Since you are commuting, get the lycra/spandex whatever shorts with the pad. This will allow you to wear whatever you want (if anything) over them to go places. I have pearl izumi shorts and I could not ask for better, they were absolutely worth the money.
    OK thanks! I was looking at some Pearl Izumi shorts and some fox shorts. I like my Pearl Izumi shoes.

I want to ride more, but man that area gets tender!!
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Try to find a seat that fits your butt better. The most comfortable seat is almost never the one with the most padding. Are you a skinny guy? If so I believe you'll find a thinner more compact saddle to be more comfortable. Just go to a shop and sit on and ride as many as possible. Most people are able to find a saddle in the Selle Italia SLR range that's really comfortable for them. Those are really well designed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Try to find a seat that fits your butt better. The most comfortable seat is almost never the one with the most padding. Are you a skinny guy?
    No, not skinny, sort of a fat guy. 5'-8" and 220#. I'm working on it now though, thus the biking! I like biking, loosing some weight will just be a plus.

When I don't hurt the seat feels really nice. Much better than the one on my Trek. I really want to ride everyday. Right now I can manage every other day and pedal through the pain.

Thanks guys!
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Look for a seat that's wide and drops off towards the sides rather than being flat or upturned. Find one with a groove or cutout.

I plead the fizif
    How long have you been at it? When I first got back into biking my butt was sore for a few days and I was convinced I needed a new seat. I ordered one online and by the time it arrived I was used to the Bontrager Sport seat that came on my bike and I never put the new one on,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    WTB saddles seem to be a love em or hate em thing, and most seem to hate em, I do...

Go get your butt measured (width between sit bones Specialized)...

Then try an Specialized Avatar, that is the correct width.

For some reason, if you hate a WTB you will probably like a Specilized...

No idea why.

mtbr member
    Shorts help. Still haven't gotten used to the feeling of the padding when walking around though.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

-Thomas Jefferson