1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

My budget bike build

Hi all just wanted to share my bike build with you and get maybe get some advice later on.

I spent months online looking for cheap ally full sus frame to start my build, originaly i wanted a Kona stinky or something with similar rear sus design as i love the look of it but when this one popped up cheap i couldn't resist.

I had an idea of what i wanted but no decent parts so i decided to build it up with what i had and upgrade later.

My budget bike build-2.jpg

The seller said it had come out of a Saracen factory as a discarded concept, how true that is i dont know but with no other identification i bought a Saracen decal to go on it.

My budget bike build-4.jpg

After that i waited for cheap mid range parts and bagged some better forks, nice looking wheels, seat, brakes etc etc and so now she looks like this.

My budget bike build-dsc_0060.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0061.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0062.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0063.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0064.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0065.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0066.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0067.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0068.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0069.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0070.jpgMy budget bike build-dsc_0071.jpg

she's not far off my original imagination of what i wanted but some upgraded longer travel forks are next on the list.

Let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My budget bike build-img00003-20100209-0746.jpg  

My budget bike build-img00007-20091025-0826.jpg  

mtbr member
    Definitely unique. What kind of riding do you do? Do you know how much she weighs?

Building up a custom bike is so much fun. +1 for being different.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i do all sorts of riding on it, i take it to work, along bridle ways and easy downhill, no big drops or anything like that. i don't know how heavy it is but it is heavy, feels like it could take anything i can throw at it!