1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Multitool Suggestions

I am starting to get back in to biking and want to pick up a decent multi-tool and I like the looks of the Alien. I noticed that there is an Alien II and an Alien III but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two.

The one thing I noticed is that the Alien III says the tire level is for emergency use only (and there is only one), whereas the Alien II has two tire levers with no asterisk. So that would seem like a drawback to the Alien III.

Why is the Alien III more money (other than it being newer)? Is it just because it is slightly lighter/newer? Should I just go with the Alien II? Should I go with something else altogether?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a set of allen keys with ball ends....

and get one of those multi tool pliers...

and get a separate chain breaker.

Should be all you need...

The allen keys on a multi tool don't work out very well.

Beer Me!
    First tool I ever bought was this one :TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories
    Then I owned a specialized and a park, didn't like either, so I bought another Topeak Hexus.
    Tire levers are a little flimsy, so i also bring a set of steel core levers.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    I have an Alien I. I have used it to change tires and use the other tools to help fellow rider on the trail. In the past I have used tools to fix chains as well. However I also have a tool kit that I used at home to do more significant work.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Andrew
    My Lezyne 10pc multitool just arrived. Very well built in is stainless construction and actually a bit lighter than I was expecting. Has all the basic allen's, a chain breaker and Phillips head screwdriver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i've bought cheap ebay ones, and they're good in an emergency, but the main problem is that they become loose very quick, and the chain breaks are generally pretty terrible. they do work, but i wouldn't assemble bikes with them or anything.

mtbr member
    I have the Alien 2 and I love it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    here's what a cheap chain break turns into quickly.. i got a refund for it though. all 4 bucks haha.. so yeah don't cheap out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multitool Suggestions-imag1666.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by somexiridemybike View Post
    I have the Alien 2 and I love it
    Did you buy it before the Alien III came out? If not, what made you choose the II over the III?

I also like the Mini 20 Pro. The Alien might be overkill for me.
    Last edited by xceebeex; 07-25-2012 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just ordered the SKS Tom 18.. Anyone have experience with it?

mtbr member
    Honestly I don't know. I saw the alien 2, looked at a few reviews on amazon, a few bike mags and then looked on other sites to see what kind of feedback I could get. Liked what I saw then went with the alien 2. Saved my ass a few days ago actually when I pulled my bike out of the car only to find a flat tire. It's easy to use, comes in a nifty case, comes apart, can't compare weights as I have nothing to compare to. I've never said to myself, "man I wish I had (insert tool) on this." and I got it for a good price. Hope this helps.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    good thread here:
    Looking For New Multi-Tool

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Crank brothers 19 tool, 175 grams, amazon

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Crank brothers 19 tool, 175 grams, amazon
    I've never tried it but going off Amazon reviews this is the one I'd get.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I like the Topeak Hexus the best, went through a mess of different ones and always went back to it. The chain tool actually works and works pretty good, I use it at home too as it's easy to find over digging in my tool box for the big one
    Got an alien too .. it's nice just seems like a friggin lead weight, and don't need all the extra stuff.

Got the Crank Bros 19 and I hated it, all the bits are WAY too short and the head/body of the thing it too wide so it wont even get into some areas (think clearance between tire and front Derailleur) if you have to do anything in tight areas you either rub knuckles or whack the frame/part and chip paint. And the Chain tool was annoying at best to use. Actually it's sitting here on my desk, has been for over a yr now..
    I'll be buying a new Hexus in a few weeks ( got wet when a badder sprung a leak and rusted badly in my pack )
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

No Stranger to danger....
    crank brothers 17, ive had a few n this ones the best by a mile imo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All multi tool is emergency only IMHO. Pick up a good set of hex wrenches off harborfreight. Because of this, weight is an important consideration.

Eg The difference between $20 alloy handlebars and $80 carbon ones are about 60grams.

Don't spend hundres a to get lighter parts to add big beefy accessories after the fact

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    All multi tool is emergency only IMHO.
    That is what I am getting this for. I am getting it to carry around in my pack. I have more than enough tools at home where I wouldn't even think about using a multi-tool at the house.