1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Mudguard hole bracket for front fork?

Is there products like this? A bracket that has a hole for mudguards:

Picture Unrelated
    Not exactly, but there are products that work with mountain forks. Here is the first thing that showed up when I Googled "Mountain bike fender": Topeak DeFender M1 Front Mountain Bike Fender, 56668 | Accessories | Cycling | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Fenders like that have expanding plugs in them which push up into your fork's steerer tube and expand to hold it in place. If you don't have an opening in the bottom of your fork then you have to find a different product. Depending on the particular fork, there are a few options which may be able to work for you. I'd start with the type I posted above, they are the easiest to work with.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have 40mm wide tires so I want to use max 65mm wide mudguards and all that kind of guards are way wider. Also I'm using rigid fork so that kind of mudguards are mounted too high.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    There's v-brake plates they aren't made for the purpose you want one for but they'd work.
    They attach to the fork legs/seat stays with hose clamps and they have a center hole where you could attach the mudguard, the brake posts on them can be unscrewed.

http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsdnvps
    http://www.danscomp.com/products-RACE/489051/V-Brake_Plate.html
    http://www.descent-gear.com/identiti-666-brake-plate-black-2426-p-10074.html

It wouldn't be too hard to make one for your purpose and it'd probably be a lot cheaper then buying one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah I could do some DIY bracket, but I rather pay for something that look nice Some lightweight and minimal is what I'm after.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    A P-Clamp on each leg attached to a straight piece of metal that spans between the two legs.

That would be minimal, you could paint it to blend with the fork.

There wouldn't be much demand for the type of product that you need, if someone does make one I've never seen it and I don't think they'd be making much money out of it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Someone on the commuting forum had a similar problem. He solved it with a long piece of allthread that dropped down from a star nut near the bottom of the steer tube. Not as elegant as some solutions, but another choice at least.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    A P-Clamp on each leg attached to a straight piece of metal that spans between the two legs.

That would be minimal, you could paint it to blend with the fork.
    I was thinking something like this. Black p clamps and then make the center part myself and paint it black too.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If the mud guard comes up near the crown of the fork another option could be to fit a star nut in the bottom of the steering tube and screw on a 90 degree bracket like this.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    If the mud guard comes up near the crown of the fork another option could be to fit a star nut in the bottom of the steering tube and screw on a 90 degree bracket like this.
    I have done this in the past and it does work pretty well. It all depends on exactly what fender you're trying to fit and where you want it to sit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    easy trick I recently learned from an YouTube video: get your wife's or girlfriend's bikini and string them in front. They do wonders!
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

how about a fork made for road fender attachment?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    how about a fork made for road fender attachment?
    Hard to find proper size fork. I also like the suspension style look more.