1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Muddy bike question

I just went to a little dirt track and rode for about 30min....it has some small jumps and you basically just keep riding in circles (It was actually a mud track tonight....it's pouring down rain). Ok, so i get back home and wipe the mud off my bike with a towel. Then i notice when i was wheeling the bike to my garage, a weird noise was coming from both wheels. It sounds like grit got into my brakes or maybe in some part of my wheel. Does anyone else ever have this problem...or maybe know of something else that might be wrong?

If it is possibly grit in the brakes...what's the best way to clean it?

Thanks for your help

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joesport11
    I just went to a little dirt track and rode for about 30min....it has some small jumps and you basically just keep riding in circles (It was actually a mud track tonight....it's pouring down rain). Ok, so i get back home and wipe the mud off my bike with a towel. Then i notice when i was wheeling the bike to my garage, a weird noise was coming from both wheels. It sounds like grit got into my brakes or maybe in some part of my wheel. Does anyone else ever have this problem...or maybe know of something else that might be wrong?

If it is possibly grit in the brakes...what's the best way to clean it?

Thanks for your help
    Just ride it off. I don't sweat the small stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah that's your best bet. I went riding this morning on a muddy trail and i waited for the mud to dry and then took the bike out later in the day. The bike took care of itself.

mtbr member
    Do you have disc or rim brakes? I know the first couple muddy rides I did with my bike (my first with disc) I got some gunk in there. I basically just had to drag the brakes for a minute or so to clean em up. Check your rotors or rim for for debris, if you have rim brakes, check your pads and the cables leading to the pads for stuff that could be causing your noise.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    hose off the wheel/brakes it should be fine, you've got some fairly tight clearance between the pads and wheels and a little grit will scrape and make a racket