1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Biker 4 Life

Muc-Off and chain cleaning...

So I was at my local LBS yesterday and I asked him what he had that would clean a chain and sprockets well before lubing. He pulled a can of Muc-Off Degreaser from the shelf and said,

"This stuff will clean everything very well and all you have to do is spray, let sit a couple of minutes and the spray off with your garden hose."

Now my response:

"Wait....you are telling me I can clean my sprockets and chain with this stuff while they are ON my bike and then spray it all off with water?" , "Then lube my chain and I'm good?"

He then stated,

"Yup."

So my question is...is this ok to do? Using water to clean off the degreaser and then lubing the chain?

...idios...
    It's a very lazy and rather indiscriminate way of doing it. It also makes it hard to properly lube the chain afterwards, too. No lube will work as it should when applied to a wet chain - mix some degreaser into the equation and it's going to be a fair old slop you have coating your entire drivetrain.

If you're fortunate enough to ride in mostly dry conditions then you coudl use a lube like Finish Line Dry or Prolink Progold, both of which run very cleanly and don't require having to clean up your gears. If you check out the maintenance sticky from the top of the forum (link), you'll find a more detailed description of my opinion and methods.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Biker 4 Life
    Its funny you mentioned that because I did read those guides specifically looking for anything to do with spraying water on the chain to clean off the degreaser.

I have always used a small brush and kerosine to clean my motorcycle chains and then let it dry for awhile or take the bike for a quick ride to heat up the chain then lube the chain.

I won't be listening to this LBS guy for sure. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I tend to dust off the cogs & run a shop rag over the chain after most of my rides. I bought a bottle of White Lightning 'Clean Ride' & the lbs told me to use it sparingly & that it was not 'self-cleaning'. I put a little on a rag after whipping off the chain good & so far the chain has not picked up much dust.

My bike is only 4 months old & it hasn't been wet or muddy so I think the chain still has some of the orig. lube on it.

mtbr member

cleaning

Yup.That's a totally lazy way.I've done similar things in the past in a pinch.For me the only way to clean a chain is with it off.I use a Sram Power Link.I put the chain in a wide mouth plastic mayonnaise jar with just enough full strength Simple Green to cover it.Shake it,let it sit,then shake it some more.If I don't want to wait around,I pull it out and take a brush to in the kitchen sink and rinse with HOT water.Towel dry.Maybe hang in the sun a few minutes.
    For the cog set.I take off the rear wheel put it in the bath tub.Light squirt with hot water.Spray with Simple Green. Hit it wit large scrub brush.Rinse wit hot water.Spin and towel dry.I pretty much dry clean front sprockets,brush,rag,maybe a little degrease.
    Not the quickest way,but clean as a whistle.Oh,when I go to this much trouble I take off the derailleur and clean till it looks like new.Now you can use your favorite oil.Yeh,sorta a pain,but when you are out of work,it's something to do.

Biker 4 Life
    lol my Wife would kill me if she saw me cleaning parts in the tub or sink...lol

She's already busted me using towels to wipe down my bike...oh and I told her I needed a new tooth brush...she wanted to know what happened to the one she recently bought me...she wasn't too stoked with me cleaning the carbs of my motorcycle with it. lol oh well...