• 06-27-2012
    MToffroad
    very helpful
  • 06-27-2012
    brent878
    Cool list

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C View Post
    [*]Tire size example : 26x2.1 the tire is made for a 26" diameter rim and has a maximum width of 2.1" when inflated.

Just a FYI, the 26" is the diameter of the tire, not the rim. Same with a 29er, 29" diameter tires, not the rims.
  • 06-27-2012
    David C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    Just a FYI, the 26" is the diameter of the tire, not the rim. Same with a 29er, 29" diameter tires, not the rims.

True. Thanks to specify. I didn't want to confuse new users with ERTO measures and more technical standard. I guess you could always post a link to Sheldon Brown's website page on wheels sizes and standards :)
  • 06-27-2012
    brent878
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David C View Post
    True. Thanks to specify. I didn't want to confuse new users with ERTO measures and more technical standard. I guess you could always post a link to Sheldon Brown's website page on wheels sizes and standards :)

Ya I knew what you were saying. That's why I didn't say you were wrong, just a FYI. Usually I get the :confused: look when I tell people its refering to tire diameter and not RIM diameter. It doesn't really make sense to me to go by tire size rather than rim size when the tire diameter changes depending on which tires you use. I think a fat bike tire 26x4.x is actually around 29" in diameter but still considered a 26" And I think every other type of wheel (motorcycle, car, etc) goes by rim size. But when buying rims they are usually sorted by 26" and 29" which doesn't help to the confusion.
  • 06-27-2012
    David C
    Yeah, that's right. Me too at first I was like, the rim is 26" high and the tire is 26" too. Then I took a measuring tape and I ended up in a white room with padding and no furniture.

But seriously, this can be very confusing, but since any 26" tire fit on any 26" wheel, I guess it's more of common sense and people just don't even care about it. Unless you're trying to build/make something that is in direct relation with rim/tire dimensions (like a truing stand for example).

Still waiting for the link.
  • 06-27-2012
    David C
    Here's : Tire Sizing Systems

*Just got on my computer, was on iPhone before*
  • 07-02-2012
    Jubert39
    thanks for the info, just trying to learn the lingo
  • 07-09-2012
    maaland
    Super helpfull, thanks!
  • 07-13-2012
    wernst
    Great for learning the ropes here. Thanks.

-Warr
  • 07-16-2012
    Tmshokie
    Great
    Feel like less of a noob now
  • 07-17-2012
    monopolybag
    Very helpful, thanks!
  • 07-17-2012
    smac75
    Awesome thread! Thank you!
  • 07-20-2012
    ShadowHash
    Thank you for the info!
  • 07-21-2012
    Fishfinder
    Good read
  • 07-21-2012
    ONguard1992
    learn something new everytime i come here
  • 07-22-2012
    JHG312
    :thumbsup:
  • 07-23-2012
    br0m
    helpful, thanks
  • 07-23-2012
    donttcallmenoob
    wow. A bunch of great info all stacked in one place. Even a few minutes of reading through the quick facts taught me more than I've learned in 5 years of riding/fixing bikes!
  • 07-25-2012
    cmags
    ^^ Agreed with above. The quick facts will be referred to again. I've been out of the bike scene for about 10 years, so all the technology and standards have changed since then. Much to my chagrin when I recently tried to revitalize my 15-year-old hardtail with components off a newer bike... :madman:
  • 07-26-2012
    ctimbs
    Should have came here first. Some of the posts would have made much more sense.
  • 07-26-2012
    Left-ear
    Very helpful
  • 07-30-2012
    SSV3NOM316
    Well that definitely cleared up some things for me. Thanks OP. :thumbsup:
  • 07-30-2012
    mzs6
    I learn something new everyday, thanks
  • 07-30-2012
    roiquel
    Nice post, thanks for the advice.
  • 08-02-2012
    Burf
    Yet more useful info. Thanks!
  • 08-05-2012
    Noob_mtber
    Thanks for this! I find myself coming back to this for reference when I'm reading other threads.
  • 08-09-2012
    Rogue655
    this thread has been super useful
  • 08-10-2012
    gipsyviking
    Aha! Threads and posts are no longer cryptic. Good reference.
  • 08-14-2012
    iamspartacus
    When talking about wheelsets, what does UST mean?
  • 08-14-2012
    scope56
    Very useful thread, thanks!
  • 08-14-2012
    maxnik
    TY, good info!
  • 08-15-2012
    londonaero
    Very useful thread. A few that I did not know. :thumbsup:
  • 08-15-2012
    solidfish
    Could anyone elaborate on the difference between AM, XC and FR please? I think FR is mostly for trails with jumps, something close to BMX almost?? But was is difference between AM and XC? Arent they the same trails?
  • 08-17-2012
    A very useful thread. Thanks!
  • 08-17-2012
    perttime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    Could anyone elaborate on the difference between AM, XC and FR please?

I think this has been done already... but lets see what I can do.

There are various definitions for XC, AM and FR.

XC
    1) An internationally recognized sport where you race against a few dozen others on the same trail
    2) Just riding trails. Distance and Speed probably matter to you.

AM
    Just riding trails. You look for challenging trail features, Speed and distance are there but only matter in terms of trail experience. You want a bike that can handle the trail features at the speed you want.

FR
    Lots of variety but jumps, drops, elevated features and other "stunts" tend to be featured. You don't ride for distance: it is all about the "stunts" and the bike has to be able to survive them - and not hinder the stunts.

Last week I rode with a pretty mixed bunch. At one point, us more wheels-on-the-ground riders took the reroute around a fallen tree. The two guys who are into "Enduro" (an AM like race format) picked up speed and hopped over that tree that is too high off the ground for me to even consider.
  • 08-17-2012
    solidfish
    Thanks for response. I've been looking into this question and your answer is what I got as well. I also noticed that bike sizes differ between the disciplines. It seems that AM/FR generally have shorter top bar lengths whereas the XC folks like a more traditional longer top bar length. FR/DH also like to keep their seatpost lengths low to position their bodies around the angles.
  • 08-17-2012
    MuchooSmoocho
    one day i'll know what Fixie means
  • 08-17-2012
    perttime
    In XC bikes, people favor pedaling efficiency, and to some degree even aerodynamics. A longer top tube can help with those things.

For AM/FR/DH, people want a bike length that lets them apply a lot of body language for maneuvering the bike. A somewhat shorter bike can help with that.

Difference between FR and DH: in FR you live for the stunts, in DH you mainly care about going fast. If you are racing DH, you ONLY care about making it from start to finish in the shortest possible time.

Fixie: if your cranks are turning, the rear wheel is turning too. If your rear wheel is turning, your cranks are turning too.
    Mind your fingers when cleaning and lubing the chain: you wouldn't be the first one to get your fingers mangled after forgetting the rear wheel works like a flywheel and the chain keeps moving with it :eekster:
  • 08-17-2012
    McCrea
    Very useful, sso much new things to learn ;)
  • 08-17-2012
    Dirtydogg
    my hero!
  • 08-19-2012
    Blue-Destiny
    The glossary list is a great reference for beginners like me. thanks
  • 08-20-2012
    JuliusDarius
    THANK YOU. Been trying to figure out some of these abbreviations out for so long.
  • 08-21-2012
    NickFL
    Great resource here.
  • 08-22-2012
    hhhava
    Thanks for posting the glossary, very helpful.
  • 08-25-2012
    Dizco76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I think this has been done already... but lets see what I can do.

There are various definitions for XC, AM and FR.

XC
    1) An internationally recognized sport where you race against a few dozen others on the same trail
    2) Just riding trails. Distance and Speed probably matter to you.

AM
    Just riding trails. You look for challenging trail features, Speed and distance are there but only matter in terms of trail experience. You want a bike that can handle the trail features at the speed you want.

FR
    Lots of variety but jumps, drops, elevated features and other "stunts" tend to be featured. You don't ride for distance: it is all about the "stunts" and the bike has to be able to survive them - and not hinder the stunts.

Last week I rode with a pretty mixed bunch. At one point, us more wheels-on-the-ground riders took the reroute around a fallen tree. The two guys who are into "Enduro" (an AM like race format) picked up speed and hopped over that tree that is too high off the ground for me to even consider.

Thanks for explaining it further!
  • 08-29-2012
    wrfreeman
    The must have glossary for noobs like me. Thanks!
  • 09-03-2012
    jogglp
    ;), thx!
  • 09-04-2012
    doctadocta
    Nice info
  • 09-07-2012
    HNR
    Great stuff
  • 09-08-2012
    jfo9
    Super helpful to a complete newb like me.