1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: MTBR Glossary

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Great glossary for ref.

Keep thread info for reference MTBR GLOSSARY.

please add any that have been forgotten.

Can I add a grammar/ spelling section to this? Please? Pretty please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Can I add a grammar/ spelling section to this? Please? Pretty please?
    Depend on how big it is, but as long as everything is related to the thread purpose, I don't see any problem.

But a cookie will be appreciate then

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Cromo or Cr : Metal named Chromolium, which is a grade of steel that is more adapted to frame between alu and steel applications... lighter then steel, but stronger then alu.
    Not to be a jerk, but the metal is called chrome-moly steel (as in steel that's been alloyed with chromium and molybdenum).

41xx steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just tried to rep you home- slice. Alas, apparently I have already repped you and need to rep more before infecting you with good will. Not that my meager two will much affect your glorious four.

I will draft a grammar thing up and pm it to you so you can look over it and see what you think.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Nebrowski View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but the metal is called chrome-moly steel (as in steel that's been alloyed with chromium and molybdenum).

41xx steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good thing you were that guy; I didn't want to be that guy.

MTBR Member

Say, what does it mean to be a "Clyde"? This seems to be the place to ask. I did make an effort to find the meaning via SEARCH to no avail.

Rubber-side down!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    someone over two hundred pounds

Also, David, I forgot to add in the QFT abbreviation. So, here it is: QFT: Quoted For Truth. Don't know if this is a web- wide abbreviation or not since I only ever am on these forums.

MTBR Member

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    someone over two hundred pounds

Now see, I was thinking it was some acronym for a really super accomplished mountain biker.

Cool Like You Dream about and Envy.

Constantly Leaving You Deliriously Excited.

In fact, I was thinking to myself, I must do whatever it takes to become a Clyde. How do these people receive such a title? There must be some secret club or something! Now that I know what a clyde is and since I am only 5' 9", I suppose I will give up my dream of someday being a Clyde.

I did a little more (betterer) research:

Clyde- Generic term for large (>200lb) Mountain Bike riders referring to an old racing bracket named after the Clydsedale horse.

Well, how about that?

Urban dictionary also defines a "clyder" as "a term used by males to discribe an overweight female, or fat chick, clyders often gather together in groups called clydes. A clyder often has a rather nice slim attractive female friend who is known as the fondel".

Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodroce View Post
    Urban dictionary also defines a "clyder" as "a term used by males to discribe an overweight female, or fat chick, clyders often gather together in groups called clydes. A clyder often has a rather nice slim attractive female friend who is known as the fondel".

Very interesting.
    Urban Dictionary can suck my balls. F^ckin' hipsters. I took their entry off my vocabulary word a day app. That'll show them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info from everyone. Good thread!

Just got approval from David C to post this behemoth I drafted up a little bit ago:

Grammar for some of ya'll:

A lot- Always a lot. Never alot, allot or any other weird mutation/ mutilation you can come up with. Especially not allot; this one means to divide up/ dole out.

They're, there, their- First one: contraction for they are( as in They're on the way now). Second one: denoting a place other than where you are( as in they're over there right now). Third one: shows ownership of, possesive( Their bike was left over there).

We're, wear, were, where- First: a contraction of we are( we're going to the trail). Second: to have on your person( will we wear matching kits). Third: Plural past indicitive( we were riding, now we're home( yes I had to use the dictionary to help me define this one, it's tricky)). Third: in or what place( where is the trail).

Its, it's- First: shows ownership( the bike lost its chain). Second: contraction of it is( it's sad about losing its chain).

Too, to- First: more than needed( too much), as well as( me too), negating a negative( am not; are too); second: it's a preposition, ya'll. Moving in a direction( he went to the store. We rode from here to there), direct contact( put the pencil to the paper).

Who, whom- First: The one doing an action( who is riding today). Second: the one having the action enacted upon them( with whom are you riding today).

Try not to end a sentence in a preposition. I do it sometimes, I'll admit it. But on the whole, try not to let it happen.

Punctuation, etc.:

Semi- colon: use this when two sentences relate to the same thing but could stand on their own as sentences( I love the vanilla flavor of Gu; they have the best vanilla on the market).

Comma: use when you are separating lists, after a proper noun, for a short pause in sentence flow and they are also used semi- interchangably with m- dashes-- I won't even get into Oxford commas. I don't think you all need an example of these uses, do you?

A note on dashes: there are three: M- dash, n- dash and hyphen.

Italics: used to apply emphasis to a word or group of words. No smileys or "emoticons" needed, your writing should be able to convey these emotions anyway.

I will add more when I think of them/ happen across them. These are just some of the most butchered on here that hurt me to look at and try to decipher.

Further reading:

Links:
    Punctuation Made Simple Nice site on punctuation and grammar.

Hyphen, N-dash, M-dash Pain in the English Discussion of the dashes.

Pain in the English Forum for the questioning literati.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~wricntr/documents/GP.html Good resource for the uninitiated and beginner.

"Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door" By Lynne Truss I share her view on the Oxford comma. She's brilliant.

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" By Lynne Truss. Read this book, become awesome.

And, because I like you all: "The Devil's Details: A History of the Footnote" By Chuck Zerby A great book about our oft forgotten friend the footnote. Not as boring as you would think.

He( Chuck Zerby) references a usage book in his "Detail's" book. Not sure if it's "Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage" or "A DIctionary of Modern English Usage" by H.W. Fowler, but, whichever it is, if you buy me one or both( or pretty much any book dealing with lexicography or linguistics) I will shower you with praise and rep. Just sayin'.

Huckin' trails
    Good work

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    it took me awhile to figure out LBS lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the post.

one chain loop
    in the cycling world BF doesn't mean boyfriend. it means Biker Fox, so don't you ever mix them up.

and everyone knows that OTB to this guy is a controlled crash.

BikerFox Movie - YouTube
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how can i recognize 29er or 26er?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Jepek76 View Post
    how can i recognize 29er or 26er?
    By looking at the size of the wheels...

David

one chain loop

Brake setup

Mullet - Disc brake front, V-brake rear

Combover (new) - V-brake front, Canti rear
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Suggestion to add to the list: a section on all the different types of dirt descriptions: ie, hardpack, vs. loose on hard, etc., etc. It's generally stuff a newbie can figure out, but it would be nice to have all the terms (with explanations) gathered in one spot... like you've already started...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrispies View Post
    Suggestion to add to the list: a section on all the different types of dirt descriptions: ie, hardpack, vs. loose on hard, etc., etc. It's generally stuff a newbie can figure out, but it would be nice to have all the terms (with explanations) gathered in one spot... like you've already started...
    No problem.

If you want, hit me with a PM of everything you would like to add and I will update the list with it, or just post it here... But in the list would be great. Credit to you off course.

David

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What does "slack" refer to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    FR,AM,XC you for got GG Grocery getter.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast