1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

MTB - Thinking about refurbishing it a little bit and need some advice/opinions.

Hello.

I have a Bulls 7005 MTB and I've been riding it for some time now and the riding I've been doing was pretty rough I do small jumps a lot, ride it through forest trails but I'm thinking about taking it to a next level. By that I mean I want to do a little more extreme mountain biking, do higher jumps or jump some ramps with it (max I would do probably would be 5 meters high) and I'm not sure if my buddy over there could survive this.

So I want to do some "refurbishing" on it. What I want to change on my bike is fork with suppression and handling bar with stem. Also I would repaint it, put some shiny stickers on it for the ultimate swag . But the problem I face is that I do not have a lot of knowledge about bikes other than how to disassemble and reassemble it. I don't have a knowledge about different parts and if my frame would actually survive my "next level" riding. My bike's frame is aluminium and it says 4130 Light Tubing CR-MO on a sticker. I'm not sure what that means.

The assistance I need is pretty much an answer to few questions. Firstly should I upgrade those parts and will my bike survive my more advanced riding? And what kind of forks, handling bars and stems you guys would recommend? Now I gotta also mention that I'm not in American nor am I in any other "good" country so my budget on this isn't too high but any suggestions or any other kind of help/opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have posted a few pictures of my bike Bulls 7005 MTB thought maybe it could help evaluate the capabilities my bike can reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i would not try taking that off jumps that are too big. 2 ft or more seems like to much for me if i was riding it. personally if you like that bike. keep it as it is and just trail ride it, and get something that meant for jumping. you can get used bikes off craigslist or Pinkbike.com for fairly good price. thats what i plan on doing someday. i just cant luck out on a good job to afford something. something cheap as 150$ is to much for me at the moment

What could go wrong ...
    "My bike's frame is aluminium and it says 4130 Light Tubing CR-MO on a sticker. I'm not sure what that means."

It means that the frame is steel and NOT aluminum and by looking at the pictures of the bike you have a 1" threaded headset which means no fork upgrade for that bike ... hope this helps
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Picture Unrelated

I would be a bit concerned to take that off of a curb let alone a 5 meter jump. You need a new bike if you expect to leave the ground, no question. It can not be upgraded to a bike for rough treatment. Save the money you intended to spend on parts for it and spend it on a used DJ bike or maybe a FR bike if you can find one. Not sure what size you are, not sure what your budget is, and at this point it doesn't matter because you need to start doing some research.

Your current bike will be fine on dirt paths and gentle trails. Anything more than that and it will live a very short life. Check out Park Tool's repair section and learn how to take care of what you have. It will pay off for any bike you get down the line.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well ain't that some ****... I guess I'm quitting biking then because, **** it, at least until I move to US and can afford a decent Scott or Specialized bike. Just riding is boring already and I want something more extreme, guess I'm not getting it. Well thank you guys for helping me not to spend my cash on something that would be useless and probably get my ass hurt.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by DariusG187 View Post
    Well ain't that some ****... I guess I'm quitting biking then because, **** it, at least until I move to US and can afford a decent Scott or Specialized bike. Just riding is boring already and I want something more extreme, guess I'm not getting it. Well thank you guys for helping me not to spend my cash on something that would be useless and probably get my ass hurt.
    I'd say boring is better than broken. There's a lot you can learn without hitting 15' jumps, it's pretty silly to just give up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I already learned everything there is possible to learn on the basic level and boring to me is just as bad as broken so might as well quit biking until, as I said, I can get out of this piece of **** country of mine and actually get a nice bike. 3000 dollars here is 7000 and if an average person in USA can afford a 3000 dollar bike and average person here barely can afford 500 dollar bike. 3rd world problems lol.

Picture Unrelated
    I already learned everything there is possible to learn on the basic level and boring to me is just as bad as broken so might as well quit biking until, as I said, I can get out of this piece of **** country of mine and actually get a nice bike. 3000 dollars here is 7000 and if an average person in USA can afford a 3000 dollar bike and average person here barely can afford 500 dollar bike. 3rd world problems lol.
    Do you know how to do rollbacks, manuals, drift a corner without putting your brakes on, do you know how to climb the steepest incline in your area, do you know how to ride a curb for 50', do you know how to wheel pivot?

There's always something to learn, you're not even trying to want to ride a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't think that the "average American" really can afford a $3000 bike. I think the average American lives paycheck to paycheck and has at least $30,000 in debt....But the average American probably would buy a $3,000 bike on credit with no money in savings anywhere.

If that average American wrecks that $3,000 bike and can't work for several months, he may end up on the streets. That is how it works over here.
    Of course, there are plenty of Americans who can afford a $20,000 bike, and a yacht, and a $100,000 car.
    We have some extremes in this country too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dhelm72 View Post
    I don't think that the "average American" really can afford a $3000 bike. I think the average American lives paycheck to paycheck and has at least $30,000 in debt....
    Well on reddit's MTB section basically everybody's an average American with a decent job and everybody there rides their fancy Specialized bikes. There are poor people everywhere only that in some countries what usually would be poor in America is average in those countries. Americans just don't know how to live, when I look at prices of everything in USA it's a ****ing heaven to me (just like for most other people from ****ed up countries). Anyway not the place to discuss such things.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    you're right.... We do live well here compared to most of the rest of the world. This is one of the few countries where people finance luxury items. I'm sure that doesn't happen where you live. People here will complain that they are late on bills and then hop on their jet ski or $3,000 MTB. Some of the "Average Americans" you reference are deep in debt. The ones who are well within their means are the above average Americans.
    To get back to the original topic,I don't think you should abandon biking entirely just because you can't afford an upgrade. Maybe you could find challenges with the equipment you already have. Do you have any trails with beautiful scenery? Any good climbs that will give you a great workout? Rolling hills with tight turns are fun and do not require a heavy duty bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nah there are no nice scenery trails or any other kind of cool trails except this boring road through the forest. I'm not entirely quitting biking but from now on until I can move to US I will only use it for leg muscle workout and just continue to hope I win that stupid green card lottery by the time I'm 20. **** sucks but it ain't getting any better so might as well continue to reach my dream and maybe in few years you'll be seeing me posting pics of my $3000 Specialized bike lol. Plus mountain biking wasn't a big part of my life anyway, I only was biking so I could get away from all of the **** in the neighborhood, but ignoring it works just as well so I don't really care about abandoning biking, at least for the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good luck with your dream. In my opinion, it is still worth riding, even if there is no challenge and you are just doing it for fitness. Staying in shape will benefit you when you get that $3000 bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks man. The reason I need to get that green card is because I want to join the Marine Corps (you probably thought my dream is a $3000 bike, would be pretty stupid lol) so staying in shape and increasing my fitness capabilities is what I do every day but you see if biking will only become a leg workout I might as well take some more time at the gym and hit those bikes instead. So for now I'm still probably quitting it since I can't really do anything extreme with my old guy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you're willing to serve in the military for 4 years, I tink you deserve a green card and a $3000 bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    4 years? Not really, Marine Corps is what I want to do as a lifetime career, not just first enlistment contract. Green card lottery is really freaking depressing because it's all based on luck and a guy who will just go to US and will sell used TVs in a china town can take my spot by having more luck. (Btw no offense to people who sell used TVs in china towns )