1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2010

mtb shoes for wide feet?

So i just purchased spd m520 after reading a couple of threads and this being my first attempt and clipless. I feel I have wide feet can someone recommend some shoes Im trying to keep them cheap Ive checked pricepoint/jensen/hr. $50 would be the ideal spot but im willing to move for something comfy. thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've found that Northwave makes a comfy shoe for wide feet. I currently use Northwave Rebels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

Bike Addiction
    I am outside your budget but I have EEE wide feet and I have a pair of Specialized BG sport I believe they are called. Sorry don't have them with me but they are comfortably wide enough and lasted 2 seasons without problems. Still in great shape.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Trying not to kill myself
    I have wide feet and I wear Specialized M086, but those are above your budget (I got them on sale around $80). If you have a Performance Bike near you, I suggest paying them a visit. Their Forte brand tends to be pretty roomy, and they usually have several pairs in stock that are in the neighborhood of $50. Lake is another brand with a reputation for fitting wide feet.