1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

MTB saddle recommendations?

I have a stock seat on my rockhopper and I'm trying to replace it cause it NOT comfortable at all. Can someone recommend a light weight affordable saddle that will be a improvement from the one i'm using now?..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    WTB Pure V with ti rails to keep weight down. if weights not a problem for you and your just looking for something comfy then Pure V with steel rails will be as just good.

mtbr member
    Wtb makes some nice saddles that're reasonably priced. Saddles are really a personal thing. Lotsa Wtb dealers can measure your seatbones so atleast you can make an educated guess. Don't know if it's still going on but Wtb used to do a trail thing were you can return the saddle and get another style till you find the 1 that fits you.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info . I'll check the WTB saddles out

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee74 View Post
    Can someone recommend a light weight affordable saddle that will be a improvement from the one i'm using now?..
    No.

But see the above posts. Also try saddles from other sources, like friends, new bike takeoffs at your shop, etc. Just because it didn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you, for the same reasons that we can't intelligently recommend anything.

Stay away from giant, ridiculously padded things.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I recently purchased a specialized henge and found that it fits really well, with almost no pain from the first day I rode with. From what I have read on here is that you should go to your LBS and ask if they have test saddles you could ride. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Brooks saddles....They arent the lightest in the world but will last a lifetime, mine is the most comfy seat I have ever sat on

mtbr member
    Saddles are very personal, depends much on your anatomy (sit bones) and come on different sizes because of that, I use the Ritchey Streem WCS on my bikes but is just my preference.

Check Selle Italia and WTB.

mtbr member
    Some good suggestions here. Brooks is arguably the most comfy saddle ever made and i love mine, but it doesn't go on any of my mtbs because it's leather so if you wanna keep it you can't get it too wet more than once or twice even if it's treated which is another thing you have to do if you want it to be a "once in a lifetime saddle', and certainly not affordable as jaycee requested. My long distance road bike has a brooks and I have a saddle bag on it to keep dirt off the bottom. In that saddle bag is a plastic bag so if I ever get caught in the rain I can cover the saddle.
    Lotsa lbs will have a bin filled with take off saddles that might work for you.
    Ebay's another option because lotsa people, when they start riding, don't give their bum enough time to get used to riding and go and buy a big soft saddle, which is a mistake, and take off their perfectly great saddle and sell it.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-18-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Like the others said, it's all about your personal preference. I tried out a lot of saddles, some off friends bikes, and quite a few from the take off bin at the lbs. The wtb pure v was the best one for me, I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    The problem is that every butt is different, so what I like you may hate.

But I would make sure the saddle height, tilt, and for-aft position is correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The most comfortable seats i have ever sat and ridden on and on long rides is SELLE SMP GLIDER. Love the damn seat worth every penny. Highly recommended. Its designed to remove the numbness in the perineum area and Its like sitting on pillows on long rides. SELLE SMP seats have different sizes for different width gluteus maximus and or pelvis. Gudluck.

Check it out for yourself

Heres the website. http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/...d-on-your-body
    Last edited by calcobra98; 07-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Be cautious with soft saddles. When the pressure starts going places other than a rider's sit bones, it reduces blood flow and can mess with nerves.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info guys...i went with the WTB pure v pro ...i love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTB saddle recommendations?-img_0881.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I learned a lot after reading this thread...

What Saddle Won't Put My Gentleman's Region To Sleep?

mtbr member
    Great thread. Convinced me to do alot of research. I am a big guy and just ordered a Selle Strike Plus. The price was a bit outrageous, but hopefully it will improve my saddle time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone try something like the Velo Orange Model 3 touring saddle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    SELLE SMP for the win. Best seats ever. You'll never want to go back. You'll be wandering why you didnt know about this seats. My longest ride on my SELLE SMP Glider 10 hours. Good Luck and have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i have wtb speed v and love it. my behind has been happier ever since. pretty cheap too, like 35-40$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calcobra98 View Post
    SELLE SMP for the win. Best seats ever. You'll never want to go back. You'll be wandering why you didnt know about this seats. My longest ride on my SELLE SMP Glider 10 hours. Good Luck and have fun
    Agreed.... Absolutely unbelievable difference. The price scared the hell out of me, but worth every penny!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got a GT Avalanche recently and it came with WTB PURE-V SPORT....its extremely comfortable....like I'm on my couch @ home. No pain no discomfort...ever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    another vote for the pure v... but that pure v pro looks nice!