1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

MTB problem with front derraillour and shimano crankset

I have just bought a new shimano deore crankset to my MTB. I already have a Shimano deore front deraillour, which fitted with my last shiman crank. The bottom bracket is a octalink v2. When i put on my new shimano deore triple mtb crankset. MY front derraliour cant get to the last chainring. I can se from my last crankarm, that the new deore chainrings are further away from the front derrailour. I am really in doubt, what to do??. They should fit perfectly.

mtbr member
    what model is your crankset? it should have a model # printed on it, something like "FC-M430." from that, you can look up the PDF tech doc on Shimano's website and figure out what length BB spindle you are supposed to use with that crankset. it sounds like the BB you have now is too wide and you need a narrower one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member
    here is the info you need: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830657937.pdf

you need a 110mm or 113mm BB. not sure which (someone clarify this!?) what length do you have now? if you're not sure, pull the crankset and measure it or pull the BB and measure that too.

did you do this at home or did a bike shop do it? if a bike shop did it, they should have checked before slapping a crankset on the wrong size BB.