1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

MTB Assembly - What Tools Do I Need?

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a Fantom 29er DS. This will be my first time assembling the bike.

I'd like to know what tools are required to assemble, and also, what kind of tuning should I anticipate besides possibly bleeding the hydraulic brakes and wheel truing before I can start my first ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    dont know about fantom, but when I bought a bike online it was essentially preassembled. I only needed standard allen wrenches (including an 8mm for pedals) and a philips to adjust the derailleur.

I had to turn the bars the right way and tighten, attach the rear derailleur, put wheels on and put pedals on.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Does the bike come with instruction manual?

Resident Gear Head
    Depending on how much of it is already put together, you will most likely only need a small screwdriver and a few allen wrenches. You shouldn't need to bleed the brakes but you will want to true up the rotors, bed the brake pads, check that the wheels are true, and adjust the front and rear derailleurs.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Bike will come 90% assembled. Simply set saddle height, add pedals, install front wheel align handlebars, and you're off riding. Tool required: Metric allen wrenches and possibly an open-end hex wrench, depending on which type pedals you use.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks guys!

And yes, bike comes 90% pre-assembled, all I have to do is attach everything together.

By the way, do most bikes use the same type of nuts and bolts? Meaning if I buy a bike tool kit, would it have all the tools that I'd need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    ..snip..

By the way, do most bikes use the same type of nuts and bolts? Meaning if I buy a bike tool kit, would it have all the tools that I'd need?
    Yes
    and maybe. Often tool kits don't contain external bottom bracket spanners. Do a search it has been discussed before. I recommend tool boxes others believe buying tools 1 at a time is a better way to go.

here and here but you don't need much to assemble a bike in a box.

I still like The Super B Deluxe tool kit $130 from REI
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.