1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

moving from commuter bmx to trail riding...advice?

i'm riding a 24" redline bmx for the city but want to venture into trails, etc. i don't want to lose the capability of hopping and banging around streets and staircases, but i also don't think i need to go full-shock all-mountain with a new bike. will an xc hardtail allow me to do my piddly jumps and bang-arounds on a trail? any suggestions? i still need to get sized up (5'8", 150). i'm looking to spend around $1,000. it seems a kona caldera might be what i'm looking at. i'm hardly a stuntman, but not a country cruiser either.

i've read the reviews but i'd like to find out ideas of exactly what type of bike to get. the mazrochi (sp) list was helpful, but i think i may want something above xc/touring and below an urban assault. or maybe xc bikes will hold up?

i appreciate the advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The more suspesion you have the faster you can go over rougher ground.
    A forty pound downhill bike will pound through a rock graden or down a flight of steps faster and more comfertablely then a hard tail and will hold up longer doing it.But It will be harder to move that weight for stunts.
    Or simply yes a hard tail will handle what you want