1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Mounting hardware needed to mount disc brakes on Rockhox Dart 2

Is there any special mounting hardware needed to mount disc brakes on Rockhox Dart 2 forks? Tonight I dropped my bike off at a bike mechanic's place to get the Avid BB7s on. I had to run to work right after I dropped the bike off, but he didn't seem to think that the mounting hardware that came with the BB7s would be compatible with the Rockshox. I have the 2010 model - I think he said something about side mounts that Rockshox and Manatou use have special mounting hardware they use - my memory is a little hazy, but that is the gyst of it. Also, I "may" have some mounting hardware at home that came with the disc brakes on my Windsor RST Capa forks - I'll have to take a closer look when I get home to see if they even came mounted with hardware, but I wonder if it would be compatible with the Rockshox.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    (Looks at calipers mounted to my RocShox Tora)

Um, they use regular old bolts. Pretty sure they ain't magic bolts or even remotely special. Don't see why what came with the brakes wouldn't work. Especially since RockShox and Avid are both SRAM.

Then again, companies are known to do stupid things.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The BB7 can be directly attached to your fork without an adapter when using a 160mm rotor.

All you'll need is this

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ok, thanks. Maybe he needs to take a closer look. That's what I figured coming out of the box, but hey, he's the expert (I hope), and not me.

mtbr member
    They should bolt right up as long as the rotor size is the same. If you change size you will need an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They went on fine. I had to coax the mechanic into "just try to see if they will go on". I get the feeling that he's a little old school...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What kind of mechanic doesn't know how to install disc brakes? Crazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know. Overall, he seems pretty good at what he does, but it seems like he is a little gun shy at some things. He took an intensive 4 week course at a bike mechanic school in Colorado Springs, Colorado back in 1994 - I guess the guy who runs it is or was one of the head engineers for Parktool. He has worked in bike shops, but I get the impression that it has been a while since he has worked for one, so maybe he hasn't seen a lot of the newer stuff. He was pretty "amazed" at my X7 derailleur set up. lol He's a lot cheaper than bike stores, so that's why I have him do my work.

Huckin' trails
    Well, I got Dart 2 fork and it's a post mount type, and since max rotor for the fork is 160mm, you simply have to bolt on the caliper directly to the fork's mount, with the Avid BB7's CPS bolts...

It doesn't get any worse then that

Then simply run the housing and cable.

It's an easy job that any one could do, since Avid also include a Torx wrench in the box to mount the rotor to the hub... And a 5mm allen key should already be there in your toolbox... The bolts are all already coated up with thread locker, and you just have to follow the mounting instructions that came with the kit. Then cut the cable and housing and you're all set.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. Already did everything last night.