1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Mountain biking....why do we do it?

On the surface it seems absurd.

Buy an expensive cycle. Take it on terrain that nobody in their right mind would walk on, let alone try to ride.
    In the process, get soaking wet and so covered in mud that you need to be washed down with a hosepipe before going back in your house.

Regularly break or wear out parts of said expensive cycle during traverse of said impossible terrain.

Travel at speeds off road that makes your dad shake his head with disbelief.

And in doing all the above, have more fun than pretty much any other activity outside of the bedroom.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you answered your own question!

We do it because its awesome! Its a rush, great exercise, and more challenging/interesting than road riding.

And personally, I love the feeling of making a tough climb or clearing a tricky obstacle for the first time.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Why do humans do anything but eat, sh$t, and fu@k?

For FUN!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I was prompted to write the post after coming home from a ride yesterday.

My dad and stepmum had come round, and they just looked at me covered in mud and said "why did you go out on your bike when the weather is so bad"

duh
    it's fun, brings out the kid in us and it is good exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Two main reasons for me...

1. I need to keep in shape. Being in my 40's, the belly shows up quick if take a few weeks off. My wife even said to me other day - "you've been in pretty good shape since you starting biking again".
    2. Since I need to stay in shape, why not have a balls out fun time while doing it? It is a non-stop thrill and challenge, that you never really know if you are going to "make it". There is nothing as exciting as having to stop and think.. 'whoah, that was close... i almost /...fill in the blank.../ "..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i do it because it relieves the stress of working whole week and dealing with @$&holes and its great exercise. On the down side i have to buy new clothes because i have lost weight from riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    1. It is a fun type of exercise that I actually look forward to.
    2. Solo rides give me time to think and relax.
    3. I need some excitement/adrenaline in my otherwise boring life.

Fat-tired Roadie
    'cuz I enjoy it.

If it makes you feel any better, I've done a lot of the same terrain with just my running shoes and with cheap bicycles too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    This seems like a great opportunity to post this video up, made by the Sacred Rides group. I sent this to someone just a few days ago when he was considering getting into mountain biking. So much inspiration.

As for myself, it reminds me I can overcome challenges. And the adrenaline. That's good too.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    * Keeps me in decent physical fitness
    * Also motivates me to stay physically active (and do other things like push ups and such)
    * I prefer to exercise with something mechanically engaging than just plain running or jogging
    * Mountain bikes allow one to go on epic adventures and explore the world, whether far away or around your own home area and rediscover what sights, sounds, smells, etc you have not yet experienced
    * It's downright fun

This is why I place my bikes in higher priority than my other hobby, cars. I love cars and mountain bikes, but I place the bikes higher in priority as it has more benefits to me.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Because dammit Jim, it's fun! And you can have my bike when you pry it from my cold, dead, loam-encrusted hands! I support the right to bare aluminum! Or steel...or carbon...or titanium if that's your thing!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Asking why you do something fun is a ridiculous concept invented by silly people trying to act 'mature'. I mean, no one asks kids why they do stuff they consider fun! Do we lose the right to do 'fun' things just because we are older and expected to be more reserved in the definition of 'fun' as an adult?

Secretly, everyone has stuff they still enjoy doing that they also enjoyed as a kid. Whether or not they allow themselves to is a different story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Asking why you do something fun is a ridiculous concept invented by silly people trying to act 'mature'. I mean, no one asks kids why they do stuff they consider fun! Do we lose the right to do 'fun' things just because we are older and expected to be more reserved in the definition of 'fun' as an adult?

Secretly, everyone has stuff they still enjoy doing that they also enjoyed as a kid. Whether or not they allow themselves to is a different story.
    when i started to do mountain biking my co workers watched me like i was crazy, their words were " in your old age you looking to do that ,you mad" i'm 33 ,i didn't know that as you get older you are not suppose to challenge yourself and have fun do things that you want to do ,didn't get that memo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why do humans do anything but eat, sh$t, and fu@k?

For FUN!
    I hope you meant 'eat, sh$t and SLEEP'.
    Otherwise, I'm inclined to think you might be doing something wrong.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Miles of smiles
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

I build my own.
    It's not fun. I hate it. If the court didn't make me ride my bike every day I'd never get on it.

Or not.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Because the Endorphin fitness high is BETTER than any Dopamine-inducing drug's effects, by a long shot. Ask me how I know....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

AZ
    banned
    Because I still can.

Village Newbie
    I do what I do because I'm not allowed to work out in a gym anymore - too many injuries and I'm not spending money at the Dr. for a stupid note and then spending $ at the gym for a 1 on 1 trainer. I enjoy it whether I break stuff or nor, the bike is my gym ticket I control how much I spend and how hard I romp on it. Sure I could walk around on the same trails and probably step in a prairedog hole and break my leg or hit it with a tire and glide over top. I stress reliever as well, being out on the trail alone is the best place to resolve things.

People say I'm nuts for taking risks, well at least I'm having fun. Last week after the rain storm a decision was made to see if i could come back home covered in mud, success was mine, shower time!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny, bike racing is what motivates me to go to the gym.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I do it because when I tell people that I hit folks on my off time they look at me funny. Mountain biking seems to be more acceptable and social sport.

mtbr member
    *I am over 40, I ride To maintain my sanity and fitness.
    * My favorite bike is a rigid 29er singlespeed......Ultimate punishment, shortest amount of time.