Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 351 to 380 of 380
  1. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    33
    Thanks for all the contributors. Hopefully I can apply these skills on the trails.

  2. #352
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    749
    One of the best cornering vids I've seen

    How to Corner Your Mountain Bike: http://youtu.be/8qL3pfF3Opc

  3. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhilKmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    28
    How to manual a mountain bike, a bit more advanced but something to work towards

    Skills with Phil "How to manual" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ejrABYEY

  4. #354
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,824
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilKmetz View Post
    How to manual a mountain bike, a bit more advanced but something to work towards

    Skills with Phil "How to manual" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ejrABYEY
    excellent video Phil. best explanation I've ever seen. the flat pedals is really key. If you get over the fear of landing on your ass its fun to practice. I'm still no master, but this really helped figure out a few things.

  5. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhilKmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    28
    Follow up to my how to manual video, here's how to Bunny Hop, where I cover both the english and american bunny hop.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUGWeRQ2IU

  6. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilKmetz View Post
    Follow up to my how to manual video, here's how to Bunny Hop, where I cover both the english and american bunny hop.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUGWeRQ2IU
    I really like your videos. Thanks bro.

  7. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SCHMUSTIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    30
    Thanksfor this.... as a new rider any information is good information!!

    Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

  8. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by iMTBike View Post
    Must see video:

    How To Be A Mountain Biker - YouTube

    You're welcome.
    Oh man! This is the best ever - I needed that!! - LOL!
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

    Giggity!

  9. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    859
    when one tries to hold a manual, do you have the sensation of looping out at the rear, or is the feeling 'neutral' (not falling to the front nor back)? can't think of a better term for it....

    i've been trying to hold the manual for several months already (yea i s*ck), and still can't do it. yes practice makes perfect, and i'm trying to 'troubleshoot' what i'm not doing.

    i can lift the front with arms straight (elbows not bending), but i can't hold it any longer than a fraction of a sec.

  10. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    when one tries to hold a manual, do you have the sensation of looping out at the rear, or is the feeling 'neutral' (not falling to the front nor back)? can't think of a better term for it....

    i've been trying to hold the manual for several months already (yea i s*ck), and still can't do it. yes practice makes perfect, and i'm trying to 'troubleshoot' what i'm not doing.

    i can lift the front with arms straight (elbows not bending), but i can't hold it any longer than a fraction of a sec.
    Did you ever get it down?

    I just got my bike and I'm finding it really hard. I suspect the geometry of the bikes coupled with body type do play a role in how easy or not it is to do. My own feeling is that it probably takes a lot of practice and you have to be willing to go all out to fall on your ass to get the feeling for the energy transfer from front to back. I'll keep trying (and failing no doubt).

  11. #361
    ILIKEBIKES
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    405
    Govnor- I don't think it's necessarily the bike's geometry having anything to do with it. I have seen people manual everything from a BMX to a DH bike to a road bike. I believe it has way more to do with your comfort level and control level as a rider. Sure, some bike geometry may be more conducive to certain skills, moves, whatever, but I think it's more rider than anything.

    remember- what we call XC, All-Mountain, DH, trials, etc all used to be done on pretty much the same bike back in the day. We have developed more specialized types of bikes and that helps but in reality a good rider can pretty much do anything he wants on any bike.

    google "Road Bike Party" and you'll see what I mean...

    Chad

  12. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad View Post
    Govnor- I don't think it's necessarily the bike's geometry having anything to do with it. I have seen people manual everything from a BMX to a DH bike to a road bike. I believe it has way more to do with your comfort level and control level as a rider. Sure, some bike geometry may be more conducive to certain skills, moves, whatever, but I think it's more rider than anything.

    remember- what we call XC, All-Mountain, DH, trials, etc all used to be done on pretty much the same bike back in the day. We have developed more specialized types of bikes and that helps but in reality a good rider can pretty much do anything he wants on any bike.

    google "Road Bike Party" and you'll see what I mean...

    Chad
    No doubt the rider is by far the most important part! Gaining skills like this takes time.

  13. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    152
    Love the video Phil, definitely the best one I've seen so far!

    I'd love to see something that covers how to corner more confidently and how to handle bumpy tracks with flats (without losing speed or your feet off the pedals!).

  14. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Oh man! This is the best ever - I needed that!! - LOL!
    I LOL'd at that one! Never seen it before.

  15. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,043
    a nice video on setting up your bike

    https://youtu.be/oV_OfLSp_bM


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    a nice video on setting up your bike

    https://youtu.be/oV_OfLSp_bM


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder if any of you know what saddle he has on the black and orange Scott?

    Helpful video
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

    Giggity!

  17. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    I tried the drop off technique (FBAMSkill) and found that my front wheel lands before I could extend my legs after my rear tire cleared the ledge. Fortunately the fork absorbed the landing, plus I had my weight back. The drop was only 3 feet, and the landing was flat. Does this technique work if the drop off isn't that high?
    Gravity is going to want to bring the front wheel down first. Unless you're flying the front wheel will have dropped a good ways before the back wheel has cleared the edge, giving almost no time to level it. By the time you do get the wheel down you'll be pounding it into the ground for a very hard landing.

    Mostly, for a three foot drop, you want to lift/level the front before/at the edge instead of trying to push the rear wheel down to catch up with it.

  18. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    19
    Nice, thanks!

  19. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks! Watching now

  20. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    33
    thanks!

  21. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    6
    Great vids. Good for an old noob like me.

  22. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation: khagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    15
    awesome vids

  23. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    25
    Great videos

  24. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by iMTBike View Post
    Must see video:

    How To Be A Mountain Biker - YouTube

    You're welcome.
    Learn the different wheel sizes, pick one, and then be a dick about it!

    I don't care if this post is 3 years old, that deserves a mention. And, everyone should watch this video.

  25. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the video's. Been watching the GMBN ones recently, got some more to watch now

  26. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for posting these! Very helpful to a noobie like me!

  27. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3
    Very helpful. thanks

  28. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2
    I've watched numerous videos and they've all been helpful but I am still stuck on the manual. I haven't given up yet but I've noticed the geometry of my bike is a lot different than the bikes in all the videos i've seen. I've heard countless times that it is not the bike, but I feel like this could greatly affect a new rider like myself. I ride a 1992 Paramount PDG 50 series bike. Could this be influencing my progress at all?

  29. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,327
    Quote Originally Posted by NWCycling View Post
    I've watched numerous videos and they've all been helpful but I am still stuck on the manual. I haven't given up yet but I've noticed the geometry of my bike is a lot different than the bikes in all the videos i've seen. I've heard countless times that it is not the bike, but I feel like this could greatly affect a new rider like myself. I ride a 1992 Paramount PDG 50 series bike. Could this be influencing my progress at all?
    Oh yeah. I don't think there was anything made back then that would be good for manuals. Compared to today's bikes. When they say, it's not the bike, they mean within reason.

  30. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh yeah. I don't think there was anything made back then that would be good for manuals. Compared to today's bikes. When they say, it's not the bike, they mean within reason.
    I was very discouraged at first but this makes me feel a little better about my inability to do skills such as bunny hopping and manualing. From the videos for bunny hopping and dropping etc. they all have a manual involved in the skill. So would this also affect my ability to do most/other mountain biking skills?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Similar Threads

  1. Urban Mountain Biking Video
    By 39n, 121w in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
  2. My mountain biking video
    By picb in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
  4. My Mountain Biking VIDEO
    By rkj__ in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •