5kogsmulle
    Jan 2012
    nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    great videos, very helpful. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had seen the first one, the others were really helpful. i was look for how to set the preload on my front shocks anyway. is nice to have them all in one place

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    nice work

mtbr member
    That's a good point, you have to start somewhere, preferably not over the handlebars! Honestly, I didn't even know about the 60/40 thing until this video, rear breaking more always seemed like the best option but this makes a lot of sense now too

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome, thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Very helpful videos. They showed me some things I've been doing right, and what I've been doing wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great thread!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great videos. Learned a lot from them. Can't wait to try out what I learned

mtbr member
    I am so thankful for this post! I am just now starting out and many of these answered some of the questions I wasn't even sure how to ask!

Captain Climber
    Here is one i enjoyed that was recommended to me by YouTube the other day. Comes from Austrailia. Goes through all the basics and more in one 45 minute video. I was able to watch it on my tv with my roku.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Maybe tame by a lot of standards on here, but a lot of those drops, jumps and downhills in those videos scares the hell out of me and excites me all at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I put together this short cornering skills video for Art's Cyclery

Let me know what you guys think.
    <iframe width="480" height="270" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ORAOAeXNA1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

squish, squish in da fish
    basic and to the point. well done

mtbr member
    May 2013
    awesome tutorials

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks! Great videos with valuable information. Just bought a MTB after not riding for over 20+ years so this really helps. I went on my first trail ride last week thinking I would still ride like when I was a kid on BMX. Was I ever wrong. Quickly realized that my skills suck and I need a lot of practice but it was fun.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMechanic View Post
    I put together this short cornering skills video for Art's Cyclery

Let me know what you guys think.
    <iframe width="480" height="270" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ORAOAeXNA1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Thanks, that was a good one!
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice helpful vid, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanx this is just what I was looking for

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just watched a couple of these videos, these are great !!! I've just started riding and doing everything wrong, and your words conflick with your actions. thanx again. I'll be watching these a few more times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hubdoctor

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Really helpful vids. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for videos. Al's r good stuff for learning

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks great video... i'm gonna try this week end

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    great thread .. the videos are kickass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for finding these videos. Used the cornering techniques last time I rode, and was blown away at the difference it made in my biking!! Now just to make sure that I break the bad habits. I have had poor cornering habits up until watching that video.

GRX
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    These vids are great!! Really helped a lot. I'm going to try the info out tomorrow morning!

mtbr member

Re: Mountain Biking Skills Videos

These are great, thanks for posting them!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Total knewb here, was just turning by leaning into turns... just tried this outside pedal, inside knee business, and it is crazy how the bike just turns itself. Cannot wait to get out on my little weenie singletrack and try out some proper turning techniques.

Thanks for the vids to everyone that has posted.

Post MOAR!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

West Coast Style - Freeride Basics

Think this was posted earlier, but the link was goofy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the vids! I'm of little experience trail riding, but looking to take this hobby to the next level, as I have a seven year old son who is very interested! As many good habits as I can learn now will be a benefit I can pass along to him as he gets going. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyPlaysDrums View Post
    Thanks for the vids! I'm of little experience trail riding, but looking to take this hobby to the next level, as I have a seven year old son who is very interested! As many good habits as I can learn now will be a benefit I can pass along to him as he gets going. Thanks again!
    Watch the vids with him, mate. Talk about what they're talking about in the vid, and then go out to the lawn or whatever and just get a feel for it. He will be leaving you in the leaves in no time, like by 7 1/2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Must see video:

How To Be A Mountain Biker - YouTube

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
    Watch the vids with him, mate. Talk about what they're talking about in the vid, and then go out to the lawn or whatever and just get a feel for it. He will be leaving you in the leaves in no time, like by 7 1/2
    Yes, definitely will! He just went to a 20" Raleigh Rowdy from a 16" $50 Wal-Mart special, and he was blown away by the speed difference the first time out. We've been riding some fire roads and, and I've been quite impressed by his balance and ability to react to the bike moving around on loose rocks. Once that confidence is up, he'll be killing me, and probably asking for taller gears!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Great videos especially the cornering one as I was doing the opposite and couldn't understand why I had no grip

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Put the tips into use today and couldn't believe how much faster I was able to go through the turns loved my new bike and the confidence it gives me can't wait to get out and do some proper trials

mtbr member
    Awesome! Very Helpful!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I tried the drop off technique (FBAMSkill) and found that my front wheel lands before I could extend my legs after my rear tire cleared the ledge. Fortunately the fork absorbed the landing, plus I had my weight back. The drop was only 3 feet, and the landing was flat. Does this technique work if the drop off isn't that high?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post

West Coast Style - Freeride Basics

Think this was posted earlier, but the link was goofy.
    I'm glad this got resurrected. I'm not a beginner, but using flats, I am and I'd like to get into it (from going clipless for 20 years). This seems like a good video for that. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice,I'd like to want to more answer about mountain biking safe like the airticle Ways to Make Your Mountain Biking Safe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm new to biking and this forum. Thanks, Hutch, i'll be sure to watch these and check out youtube!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Art's Cyclery has a new skills video on jumping that offers a few basic tips to get riders started.
    I work at www.artscyclery.com creating how to videos and articles to help people learn new mechanical and riding skills.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We have another new skills video on pumping the trail. Basically how to absorb rollers and accelerate down the backside or how to accelerate down through a low spot and avoid loosing that speed you've gained on the way out.
    I work at www.artscyclery.com creating how to videos and articles to help people learn new mechanical and riding skills.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    I've watched these as well as some others, and can put most of these tips into practice on the trails. However, I've tried and tried and tried some more and no matter what I've tried or how I've tried, I still can't do a manual.

I can do a pedal wheelie and hold it for about 20 feet, but without pedal torque I can't get the front wheel more than a few inches off the ground before instantly falling back down.

Is it insanely hard to learn to do a manual on a 29" hardtail or something? I'm sure there are many others who can do it effortlessly. Why not me?

squish, squish in da fish
    weight isn't far enough back. get out past the rear axle and practice

mtbr member
    Excellent videos.
    2015 Giant Talon 27.5" 4

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for all the contributors. Hopefully I can apply these skills on the trails.

Captain Climber
    One of the best cornering vids I've seen

How to Corner Your Mountain Bike: http://youtu.be/8qL3pfF3Opc

mtbr member
    How to manual a mountain bike, a bit more advanced but something to work towards

Skills with Phil "How to manual" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ejrABYEY

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilKmetz View Post
    How to manual a mountain bike, a bit more advanced but something to work towards

Skills with Phil "How to manual" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ejrABYEY
    excellent video Phil. best explanation I've ever seen. the flat pedals is really key. If you get over the fear of landing on your ass its fun to practice. I'm still no master, but this really helped figure out a few things.

mtbr member
    Follow up to my how to manual video, here's how to Bunny Hop, where I cover both the english and american bunny hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUGWeRQ2IU

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilKmetz View Post
    Follow up to my how to manual video, here's how to Bunny Hop, where I cover both the english and american bunny hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUGWeRQ2IU
    I really like your videos. Thanks bro.

mtbr member
    Thanksfor this.... as a new rider any information is good information!!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMTBike View Post
    Must see video:

You're welcome.
    Oh man! This is the best ever - I needed that!! - LOL!
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    when one tries to hold a manual, do you have the sensation of looping out at the rear, or is the feeling 'neutral' (not falling to the front nor back)? can't think of a better term for it....

i've been trying to hold the manual for several months already (yea i s*ck), and still can't do it. yes practice makes perfect, and i'm trying to 'troubleshoot' what i'm not doing.

i can lift the front with arms straight (elbows not bending), but i can't hold it any longer than a fraction of a sec.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    when one tries to hold a manual, do you have the sensation of looping out at the rear, or is the feeling 'neutral' (not falling to the front nor back)? can't think of a better term for it....

i've been trying to hold the manual for several months already (yea i s*ck), and still can't do it. yes practice makes perfect, and i'm trying to 'troubleshoot' what i'm not doing.

i can lift the front with arms straight (elbows not bending), but i can't hold it any longer than a fraction of a sec.
    Did you ever get it down?

I just got my bike and I'm finding it really hard. I suspect the geometry of the bikes coupled with body type do play a role in how easy or not it is to do. My own feeling is that it probably takes a lot of practice and you have to be willing to go all out to fall on your ass to get the feeling for the energy transfer from front to back. I'll keep trying (and failing no doubt).

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Govnor- I don't think it's necessarily the bike's geometry having anything to do with it. I have seen people manual everything from a BMX to a DH bike to a road bike. I believe it has way more to do with your comfort level and control level as a rider. Sure, some bike geometry may be more conducive to certain skills, moves, whatever, but I think it's more rider than anything.

remember- what we call XC, All-Mountain, DH, trials, etc all used to be done on pretty much the same bike back in the day. We have developed more specialized types of bikes and that helps but in reality a good rider can pretty much do anything he wants on any bike.

google "Road Bike Party" and you'll see what I mean...

Chad

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad View Post
    Govnor- I don't think it's necessarily the bike's geometry having anything to do with it. I have seen people manual everything from a BMX to a DH bike to a road bike. I believe it has way more to do with your comfort level and control level as a rider. Sure, some bike geometry may be more conducive to certain skills, moves, whatever, but I think it's more rider than anything.

remember- what we call XC, All-Mountain, DH, trials, etc all used to be done on pretty much the same bike back in the day. We have developed more specialized types of bikes and that helps but in reality a good rider can pretty much do anything he wants on any bike.

google "Road Bike Party" and you'll see what I mean...

Chad
    No doubt the rider is by far the most important part! Gaining skills like this takes time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Love the video Phil, definitely the best one I've seen so far!

I'd love to see something that covers how to corner more confidently and how to handle bumpy tracks with flats (without losing speed or your feet off the pedals!).

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Oh man! This is the best ever - I needed that!! - LOL!
    I LOL'd at that one! Never seen it before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    a nice video on setting up your bike

https://youtu.be/oV_OfLSp_bM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    a nice video on setting up your bike

https://youtu.be/oV_OfLSp_bM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder if any of you know what saddle he has on the black and orange Scott?

Helpful video
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    I tried the drop off technique (FBAMSkill) and found that my front wheel lands before I could extend my legs after my rear tire cleared the ledge. Fortunately the fork absorbed the landing, plus I had my weight back. The drop was only 3 feet, and the landing was flat. Does this technique work if the drop off isn't that high?
    Gravity is going to want to bring the front wheel down first. Unless you're flying the front wheel will have dropped a good ways before the back wheel has cleared the edge, giving almost no time to level it. By the time you do get the wheel down you'll be pounding it into the ground for a very hard landing.

Mostly, for a three foot drop, you want to lift/level the front before/at the edge instead of trying to push the rear wheel down to catch up with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Nice, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks! Watching now

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Great vids. Good for an old noob like me.

mtbr member
    awesome vids

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Great videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iMTBike View Post
    Must see video:

You're welcome.
    Learn the different wheel sizes, pick one, and then be a dick about it!

I don't care if this post is 3 years old, that deserves a mention. And, everyone should watch this video.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the video's. Been watching the GMBN ones recently, got some more to watch now

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for posting these! Very helpful to a noobie like me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Very helpful. thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've watched numerous videos and they've all been helpful but I am still stuck on the manual. I haven't given up yet but I've noticed the geometry of my bike is a lot different than the bikes in all the videos i've seen. I've heard countless times that it is not the bike, but I feel like this could greatly affect a new rider like myself. I ride a 1992 Paramount PDG 50 series bike. Could this be influencing my progress at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWCycling View Post
    I've watched numerous videos and they've all been helpful but I am still stuck on the manual. I haven't given up yet but I've noticed the geometry of my bike is a lot different than the bikes in all the videos i've seen. I've heard countless times that it is not the bike, but I feel like this could greatly affect a new rider like myself. I ride a 1992 Paramount PDG 50 series bike. Could this be influencing my progress at all?
    Oh yeah. I don't think there was anything made back then that would be good for manuals. Compared to today's bikes. When they say, it's not the bike, they mean within reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh yeah. I don't think there was anything made back then that would be good for manuals. Compared to today's bikes. When they say, it's not the bike, they mean within reason.
    I was very discouraged at first but this makes me feel a little better about my inability to do skills such as bunny hopping and manualing. From the videos for bunny hopping and dropping etc. they all have a manual involved in the skill. So would this also affect my ability to do most/other mountain biking skills?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hi all:

I looked at the one of the videos but honestly didn't find it helpful for what I'm trying to learn. I'm new to mountain biking and am just trying to learn/improve skills for riding on loose dirt/sand over hard pack trails here in Colorado. I'm not interested in downhill, doing drops, jumping large obstacles, etc. - just learn how to raise up in the saddle on moderate downhill inclines with dips, etc. and how to best navigate "switchbacks" when going uphill, etc. I scoured youtube for appropriate videos to no avail but the only helpful tutorial I found was written and was here:

MTB Techniques - The Mountain Bike Skills and Technique Resource

Any other videos/tutorials/books I should seek out? I'm also getting info on joining up as a newbie with a local riding club so that might be my best bet in the end but was hoping to at least watch a few videos/read some more, before I join them. Thanks for any help

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234