1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for videos. Al's r good stuff for learning

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks great video... i'm gonna try this week end

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    great thread .. the videos are kickass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for finding these videos. Used the cornering techniques last time I rode, and was blown away at the difference it made in my biking!! Now just to make sure that I break the bad habits. I have had poor cornering habits up until watching that video.

GRX
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    These vids are great!! Really helped a lot. I'm going to try the info out tomorrow morning!

mtbr member

Re: Mountain Biking Skills Videos

These are great, thanks for posting them!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Total knewb here, was just turning by leaning into turns... just tried this outside pedal, inside knee business, and it is crazy how the bike just turns itself. Cannot wait to get out on my little weenie singletrack and try out some proper turning techniques.

Thanks for the vids to everyone that has posted.

Post MOAR!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

West Coast Style - Freeride Basics

Think this was posted earlier, but the link was goofy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the vids! I'm of little experience trail riding, but looking to take this hobby to the next level, as I have a seven year old son who is very interested! As many good habits as I can learn now will be a benefit I can pass along to him as he gets going. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyPlaysDrums View Post
    Thanks for the vids! I'm of little experience trail riding, but looking to take this hobby to the next level, as I have a seven year old son who is very interested! As many good habits as I can learn now will be a benefit I can pass along to him as he gets going. Thanks again!
    Watch the vids with him, mate. Talk about what they're talking about in the vid, and then go out to the lawn or whatever and just get a feel for it. He will be leaving you in the leaves in no time, like by 7 1/2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Must see video:

How To Be A Mountain Biker - YouTube

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
    Watch the vids with him, mate. Talk about what they're talking about in the vid, and then go out to the lawn or whatever and just get a feel for it. He will be leaving you in the leaves in no time, like by 7 1/2
    Yes, definitely will! He just went to a 20" Raleigh Rowdy from a 16" $50 Wal-Mart special, and he was blown away by the speed difference the first time out. We've been riding some fire roads and, and I've been quite impressed by his balance and ability to react to the bike moving around on loose rocks. Once that confidence is up, he'll be killing me, and probably asking for taller gears!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Great videos especially the cornering one as I was doing the opposite and couldn't understand why I had no grip

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Put the tips into use today and couldn't believe how much faster I was able to go through the turns loved my new bike and the confidence it gives me can't wait to get out and do some proper trials

mtbr member
    Awesome! Very Helpful!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I tried the drop off technique (FBAMSkill) and found that my front wheel lands before I could extend my legs after my rear tire cleared the ledge. Fortunately the fork absorbed the landing, plus I had my weight back. The drop was only 3 feet, and the landing was flat. Does this technique work if the drop off isn't that high?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post

West Coast Style - Freeride Basics

Think this was posted earlier, but the link was goofy.
    I'm glad this got resurrected. I'm not a beginner, but using flats, I am and I'd like to get into it (from going clipless for 20 years). This seems like a good video for that. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice,I'd like to want to more answer about mountain biking safe like the airticle Ways to Make Your Mountain Biking Safe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm new to biking and this forum. Thanks, Hutch, i'll be sure to watch these and check out youtube!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Art's Cyclery has a new skills video on jumping that offers a few basic tips to get riders started.
    I work at www.artscyclery.com creating how to videos and articles to help people learn new mechanical and riding skills.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We have another new skills video on pumping the trail. Basically how to absorb rollers and accelerate down the backside or how to accelerate down through a low spot and avoid loosing that speed you've gained on the way out.
    I work at www.artscyclery.com creating how to videos and articles to help people learn new mechanical and riding skills.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    I've watched these as well as some others, and can put most of these tips into practice on the trails. However, I've tried and tried and tried some more and no matter what I've tried or how I've tried, I still can't do a manual.

I can do a pedal wheelie and hold it for about 20 feet, but without pedal torque I can't get the front wheel more than a few inches off the ground before instantly falling back down.

Is it insanely hard to learn to do a manual on a 29" hardtail or something? I'm sure there are many others who can do it effortlessly. Why not me?

squish, squish in da fish
    weight isn't far enough back. get out past the rear axle and practice

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14