1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Mountain Biking Milestones?

I have been riding since the summer now on an 80's bike and SS 29er I bought from a buddy. I have ridden a lot of trails, fallen a lot, and built a lot of confidence. Of course that confidence can turn around and bite me in the ass. So, today I taco'd my first wheel and impact trued it so I could complete the trail and ride home. This may be silly but it feels like a rite of passage

around 2:26

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ha - 'impact trued'.

That's my all time favorite repair right there. Total ride-saver so many times. Every rider should have it in their bag of tricks.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Congratulations on your "achievement" I know the feeling.

My taco adventure didn't go so well. I dropped my front wheel into a rut on a 45-degree slope and taco'd the wheel. I did a perfect OTB flip and landed on my back, all while watching the bike sail over me. That part was kinda cool actually. It was by a lake and there were several fisherman who saw it. When they saw I was OK they had a good laugh.

I wasn't and didn't know about beating it back into shape. I proceeded to drag it back to the van. I happened to have my wife's bike loaded. Swap wheels and be on my way, right? Well, I got back there and discovered I'd lost my key. So back to the crash site, found the key fortunately, then back to the van. Swapped wheels and did the ride.