1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. Mountain Bike Rookie...

Hi all,

My name is Chris and I'm a complete noob to the sport. I would like some guidance/advise if you guys don't mind. I have some BMX experience from my younger years, but that's about it. I'm currently in search for a bike. I'm 6'1, 175lbs and have a budget of around 800. I've been eye balling the DiamondBack Recoil 29er Full suspension. I have 11 fused vertebra in my back and figured the full suspension would reduce the impact and provide a better riding experience. The recoil Seems like a good all around beginner bike. My riding will consist of light to moderate trails/weekend warrior stuff. I would like to hear from veterans on this bike etc.. Please direct me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Fat-tired Roadie
    $800 retail bikes tend to have a pretty harsh ride. Full suspension at that price thins what your dollar can do even more.

Set up nicely, FS bikes can have a much smoother ride. So I think that's a good idea.

My city supports a couple shops selling used bikes. I bet yours does too. Make a few phone calls. You can get quite a lot for $800 if it doesn't have to be new.

My car, two of my bikes, and some of the components on my others are all secondhand. So far, I feel like those have all been good decisions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks. $800 is my max, so I'll have to live with that for now. I will certainly shop around for used bikes. I appreciate the response.

mtbr member
    To get the most bang for you bike, a used FS is the way to go. Some of the older ones are still popular with today's riders. Should check out Chain Gang Bike shop in Redding. They sell used bikes. Chain Gang Bike Shop

Might want to call them to see what they have first.

mtbr member
    Hi Shakester,

I didn't realize that bike shop existed in Redding. I'll be stopping by this weekend to check them out. Thanks.