1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    that way no matter what breaks, Craig has at least 1/2 bike in spare parts from which to beg a replacement.

j/k, but I couldn't resist. Even when I do have the tools (like last Friday) Craig whips his repair tools out faster than the proverbial speeding bullet.

Jim
    Sounds like Craig is the guy to have along... Good job Craig

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow, this is quite a bit of stuff to bring along... Ive never been on a full day ride, though, and especially not in the middle of nowhere / mountains / hills, so I appreciate this thread for the info, big time.

I'll add..

I try to bring my small digi cam + extra batteries

somethin to smoke... hehehe....... 'nough said. oh, a lighter, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtobikes
    T
    Matt’s Hiking Checklist

SAM Splints
    i have been reading this topic top to bottom and making my own list as i go. i picked up my bike from the shop yesterday and have not ridden it yet. i will be doing so verry soon though as the roads near my house are a good blend of flat and hilly and there is an area of foothills and trails about half a mile from the house.

matt's list is pretty good but when i got to the second to last item i had to lauugh. he is the only person to mention sam splints and i had it on my list before i started pulling from here.

i just want to contribute a little to this mandatory reading.

a SAM splint is a rectangular piece of flexible aluminum with foam padding on one side. you roll it op tight an d small. it takes little space and weighs even less. now when you have a broken bone, the samsplint is unrolled and then, padded side to the injured limb, the long wise edges are curled up to cradled said injured limb. make it kind of tight as this is now a temporary cast and i good one at that. they make them in a few sizes from finger size to large enough to splint you femur. i recommend a finger splint and an arm splint. if you need to splint a femur just break some medium stick unless you are in the desert.

this may have been touche don already, i have not finished page one yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    I had to add this. I read through the whole post and didn't see it. I know this is a beginner forum but now is a good time to start nagging. No, not nagging, educating.

Pack a small GOOD QUALITY folding saw. It can be used as a survival tool (defense against dogs, bears and cougars and cutting firewood and shelter wood) but that's not why I want you to carry one.

Sure, all you want to do is hike your bike over that downed tree and keep on going but take a minute and cut it out of the way. If you don't, who will? A 6 inch blade will cut through an 12 inch tree.

There, I feel much better now.
    if you come across a cougar, bear wolf etc, and you have time to get out and unfold your saw, you won't need it cuz you is bad. but they will pwn you with that. if you want something to take on a tree and a bear with anything close to half a chance, i would recommend http://www.rmjforge.com/eagle_talon.htm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOZ5gLSefhY
    i know, call me rambo. no, i do not carry this. i don't own one yet but it is on my list as i hike with my young children and there are mtn lions in the area. it has an under shoulder scabbard that is suited for anything as the tomahawk was specifically designed for specopps soldiers on request. the price tage is over 300 bones, but my bike was 2100 sticker price, and it is the first real bike i have ever owned. so i do not think that is a lot of money for what it is and what went into making it. not sure if i will ever ride with it though. maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I figured I'd toss in info on what I carry in my Camelback on every ride:

water, 70-100 oz, of course
    2 tubes - cause that day's gonna come where you flat twice
    metal tire levers - plastic ones break, then you're screwed
    Crank Bros mini pump
    Park Tool glueless patch kit - tiny little patch kit that will save your butt when you pinch flat that last tube.
    2 different sizespoke wrenches
    folding allen keys
    bunch of zip ties
    chain tool
    SRAM power link
    small pliers
    small folding knife
    energy gel, Cliff bar, something to munch on mid ride
    little headlamp just in case
    extra layer if it chilly
    cell phone
    wallet with ID
    Gorilla tape - great for everything
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Platforms For Life
    I would like to add that a tick removal tool helps a ton. But some good pointed tweezers serve other purposes and will also work for removing ticks.

2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Im new to mountain biking, but not to planning for the wilderness. Garbage bags are a huge priority for me, because they can do so many things, but I like to bring orange instead of black, because they can help you be seen.Also, I use orange or reflective duct tape, to add another possible use for it.

mtbr member
    Great Ideas thanks for posting!

JDH
    mtbr member

Good job! WOW a lot of extra weight.

A few people have talked about riding in isolated areas, well I ride in Alaska and you can't get more isolated than this. Some of the trails I've ridden up here can take 7 to 8 hours to walk out of and I've found there is 1 thing that you should never ride without!

[SIZE="3"]A good full bike pre-ride inspection! [/SIZE]
    (Go to your local bike shop, ask the mechanic what he looks at on his own bike before a ride, long and short) Half the parts listed above can be avoided if you learn the mechanics of your bike and what to look for as in signs of wear and stress before you hit the trail.

On short rides of 10 miles or less I bring:

1. Signal Whistle.
    2. A very Small Bell attached to my bike frame. (Wild life will avoid you if they hear you coming)

on 11 mile plus rides I bring the above and:

1. Water ( A CamelBak to hold the few things I bring)
    2. 2 Power bars
    3. Bear spray (if you live in bear country you know what I'm talking about)
    4. A small survival/first aid kit containing:
    (a couple alcohol pads, dermal adhesive, 12 feet nylon para cord, 10 feet duct tape, a couple 50 gallon trash bags, small sharp knife, tweezers, LED flash light, Bug juice, fire starter and a needle and a few feet of thread)
    5. Multi-tool (Cannondale Lefty Head Wrench Multi Tool)
    6. Spare chain links, PowerLinks (2)
    7. Compact tire pump.
    8. A spare tube.

In all, I suggest you play around what you need and what you're willing to carry. One key thing, pack things you can get more then one use out of if possible.

Enjoy the trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is awesome. Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Mulleticious

Tyre boot

Great thread - awesome information.

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned a tyre boot though. I've had tyres split on me and you need to stick the tyre boot over the split.

Also, I go tubeless, and on long rides carry the small 2oz bottle of Stans with me and a couple of CO2 cylinders to air up again. A tube would be fine but we have thorns everywhere and need the continued protection against flats.

Oh, and headache tablets too - especially if you're on the second day of a lads weekend away

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This has been very helpful! Thank you to everyone who posted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride with an Ogio backpack and cram all of the following in, can get kinda heavy but its all stuff I have needed at one time or another on the trail to keep me from having to walk back to the car.

-Hex head multi tool
    -Pump
    -Shock pump
    -2 spare tubes
    -1 large bottle of water
    -2 power bars
    -Chain tool (and a few spare links)
    -H&K P2000 V3 .40 loaded with Hydrashocks + 2 spare loaded magazines (because I'd rather be caught with it than without it)
    Blackhawk Serpa holster (which I've mounted inside the big pocket in such a way for quick access)
    -Cell phone
    -Wallet
    -Camera (when I remember to pack it)
    -Full tang knife

Say what you will about packing a gun when you ride, but when you have the pleasure of running into tweekers, prostitutes, & other sorts of unsavory characters willing to rob you of everything you have on you I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'd mount the thing on the headtube if I could get away with it.

mtbr member

ace bandage

i can't think anything i'd rather have then an ace bandage in my bag and ive used one for more than just a sore ankle.

can be used as a splint, blindfold, sweat band, sling, cabel tie, ect. ect....
    women and bikes are my heaven

Masters' class Clydesdale
    Wow, this thread is nothing short of amazing, some very good ideas here!!
    Tighten it 'til it strips - then back it off a quarter turn

MTB Name = The Executioner

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's been mentioned several times in this thread, but not actually formally said. When out in the back 40, it's best to bring a biking buddy along.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfrican
    Good quality tweezers. Thorns and splinters!
    ... and ticks.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    I may have overlooked these from above, but:

Pen and paper
    Digital camera

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    water, munchies, first aid kit

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    On trips where I may travel more than a couple hours from home, I also bring a spare wheel. I kept my old wheel set when I upgraded, and it has come in handy since I have taco-ed my wheels before on a trip that was a few hundred miles away from home. just something to consider as well if you have an extra wheel

Have Cake and beat it 2
    hmm
    camel back hawg
    multi tool
    puncture repair kit and a couple of spare tubes
    couple of spare co2 cartridges.
    lube
    first aid kit when out bush
    mobile phone
    I live in aus and some of the places I ride re define remote. also I ride in 30 degree plus heat so water is essential.
    as my rides usually run to two hours gu gel is good to have as well as a bottle filled with sports drink and 3 litres water. all of which is usually consumed on the ride.
    the event managers that run the MTB orienteering events usually put up bush toilets to take care of those needs. but TP or wipes aren't a bad idea.
    This sounds a lot, but im a clydesdale so its only a little extra weight and camelbaks can be suprisingly good at avoiding injury as well as the water also protects your back in an off.
    ie hittting a pocket of sand at 30km an hour. went sideways off the firetrack and rolled, few grazes, got up and back at it.

mtbr member
    In my camelbak i keep a lot of things....

Crank bros multitool (with chain tool)
    Water
    Granola bars
    Tire levers
    2 tubes
    Map of the area i'll be riding
    Lube
    Small pump
    Tire boot
    small amount of duct tape
    electrical tape
    a rag of some kind
    If it's cold i also have arm/leg warmers and a balaclava
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Litespeed Toccoa

mtbr member

Floss

Dental floss. I know it's good for what it's intended for. A Cliff bar can wreak havic if stuck in the tooth.

But!!! A one inch 1000 ft! spool is good for many other options. Like stringing a bush to bush space blanket hanger. The stuff is beyond strong and weighs nothing. Never needed it but some Desert racing Gal suggested it so I carry it.

mtbr member

Floss

Looks like I can't delete? Still learning. Moderator will stumble on here eventually.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 01-16-2010 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    An idea from my hunting buddy. Take a fine point sharpie and wrap duct tape around it and wrap electrical tap around the cap. Kills 3 birds, with 1 stone.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast