1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got some good ideas on here. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you. All of the beginners info on this forum are really helpful and I very much appreciate all the effort that has gone into it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks for the ideas. sub'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just scanning - along with the first aid kit, you need the knowledge to use it. A Wilderness First Aid or First Responder class goes a long way to taking care of people and yourself. Google SOLO schools or Outward Bound.

To most people's first aid kits, I would make a few additions/changes.

Meds - not for any ride less than a few hours. No Tylenol, no Advil, and absolutely no aspirin (slows clotting). Those are for long term use not on the trail. Up to a point, pain is good - it lets you localize the injury.

Add a triangle bandage and some Kerlix or ACE bandage (but don't wrap too tight) for slings, swathes, and tying splints (use branches to make the splint).

Add nitrile gloves! You may be using your first aid kit on a buddy and not yourself. No need to share blood and germs.

Survival blanket. Folded up they are maybe 4" x 3" x 1". Good for someone stranded for hours due to a mishap.

View Post
    Be sure your first aid kid has iodine or some other form of sterilization, infections are nasty bits of work
    This is good advice. I have a friend who died from blood poisoning from a suspected thorn prick just 3 weeks after the event. Left a wife and year old twins behind.
    I'm so sorry that happened. Wounds should always be cleaned as part of definitive care, but not necessarily on the trail. Really, sterilization is almost impossible outside a hospital surgery room. Ambulances are not sterile, but they are supposed to be clean. Concern about infection is very low in the first hour or so - it's more important to deal with life threats, stop bleeding, and get out. If it will take a few hours to get you or a buddy out, rinsing the wound is very good. Iodine and antibiotic cream should be used if you can get the wound truly clean and properly bandaged (as you learn in a WFA/WFR course). A thick antibiotic cream might only be putting a water resistant layer over the bacteria, keeping it moist and warm and happy.

I have zero experience or training with Quick Clot or military dressings with clotting chemicals on them. I personally wouldn't use them if bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickWilly8019 View Post
    Some form of a handgun for snakes and dangerous animals 2 & 4 legged kinds(CCW)
    I have to agree with this one. It's rare that I am away from the house without at least a subcompact 9mm and spare mag. In the woods even more so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This thread isn't just useful for beginners. It's also good for those of us who are returning after a long hiatus and can't remember what we use to carry.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post

I'm so sorry that happened. Wounds should always be cleaned as part of definitive care, but not necessarily on the trail. Really, sterilization is almost impossible outside a hospital surgery room. Ambulances are not sterile, but they are supposed to be clean. Concern about infection is very low in the first hour or so - it's more important to deal with life threats, stop bleeding, and get out. If it will take a few hours to get you or a buddy out, rinsing the wound is very good. Iodine and antibiotic cream should be used if you can get the wound truly clean and properly bandaged (as you learn in a WFA/WFR course). A thick antibiotic cream might only be putting a water resistant layer over the bacteria, keeping it moist and warm and happy.

I have zero experience or training with Quick Clot or military dressings with clotting chemicals on them. I personally wouldn't use them if bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure.
    high-percentage zinc ointment.
    Amazon.com: Bacitracin Zinc Ointment 1 Oz / 28 G (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

Or hydrogen peroxide in a small squeeze bottle. The foaming action helps draw out dirt, and is also a sterilization fluid. Then apply the ointment, and bandage if wanted/needed to keep blood from getting on stuff. Repeat and let it air out once at home (no bandage).

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm always going to be a new at this sport.

I don't keep a ton on me, but an emergency blanket definitely helps.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    at least i can prepare some stuff before off to the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    high-percentage zinc ointment.
    Amazon.com: Bacitracin Zinc Ointment 1 Oz / 28 G (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

Or hydrogen peroxide in a small squeeze bottle. The foaming action helps draw out dirt, and is also a sterilization fluid. Then apply the ointment, and bandage if wanted/needed to keep blood from getting on stuff. Repeat and let it air out once at home (no bandage).
    I'll look into the Zinc Bacitracin. Thanks.

Be aware that hydrogen peroxide can scar - it kills some of your cells along with the bacteria. It also hurts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Be aware that hydrogen peroxide can scar - it kills some of your cells along with the bacteria.
    Track cred with your buddies

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. Mountain bike rides get more epic with each re-telling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. Mountain bike rides get more epic with each re-telling.
    I have a scar on my chin that I used to try to hide, but I've grown used to it and I actually kind of like it now. It's slowly going away though. And my story isn't very epic. I was just being stupid and riding over my head.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    this is awesome good thing i bought most of this stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is a great thread! Gives good insight to ideas of items to bring on the trail. I always have gear on me from a small first aid kit, to a BOB in my car, and to a GOOD tote at home. Some really good ideas about items to keep on a person off in the woods riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am just posting this because I need to make 5 posts before I am allowed to create a new thread on the forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thanks for the ideas. great stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great suggestions, just getting back into riding and will definitely be putting together a 'must take list'!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    The foaming action helps draw out dirt, and is also a sterilization fluid.
    Something I learned in home brewing "you can't sterilise a turd". Meaning something has to be clean before it can be sterilised.

For what it's worth. Great thread, thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    awesome! answers to questions I've had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good Stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spifficus View Post
    A couple of safety pins, for temp repairs of torn Camelbak straps, broken zippers, etc.
    thumbs up for the safety pins. very nice to have when your hydration pack or seat bag is falling apart

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast